Author Topic: Steamcraft hand-to-hand rules  (Read 4493 times)

Anjir

• View Profile
Steamcraft hand-to-hand rules
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
First of all, I'm sorry for posting this here, but I don't have the rights to post in the "Steamcraft RPG" section so my apologies. I was wondering, since I didn't seem to see anything about it, is there any rules concerning grapples, trip attacks and such? I haven't seen anything in the rulebook about it. Great RPG by the way, I'm definately testing this game this week-end (at least the character creation!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Steamcraft hand-to-hand rules
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
Hmm, I must have check the wrong box when setting up the forums.  I will get that fixes so people can post in the correct forums.

In regards to hand to hand combat, you should be using the martial arts skill.  If you want someone quick and without counter moves, then if the martial arts attack succeeds, then that is it.  Now, maybe you want more detailed rules because you are having a brawl in some pub.  This came up in a demo game before.  So here is how I handle cases where I or the players want something besides a simple check:

If what you want to do is to simulate things like grapples or tripping, I handle them as opposed roles and using saving throws if I want to add in counter moves.

Example:  A move designed to trip someone.

PC makes a successful martial arts attack that would result in the target falling.  Say something like a leg sweep.  Normally, I would just have the target fall.  But suppose I think the target has a chance to stay on his feet.  I would make the target save vs.  speed.  If successful, he stays on his feet.  If not, he falls.

Example:  A grapple move

PC makes a successful martial arts attack that is designed to hold someone or immobilize a limb.  If it is designed to hold someone, then after one round, I permit the target to make a save vs strength.  (Depending on how the person is being held I might add in a penalty.)  If successful, I then have the PC make a check against martial arts.  Whichever one succeed by more "wins."  

Say it was just a case of an arm being immobilized.  I would hand it in a similar manner, but have the target make a save vs agility (target would be squirming loose.)

The above examples assume that the target is not apt at martial arts or acrobatics.  Adding those into the mix can change things.  

Martial arts vs martial arts

Martial arts permits two attacks per round.  If you have two characters with some skill in it, then they would be used to both attack and defense.  In this case, you can give up one attack in exchange for a chance at defense.  How that would work is PC makes a successful martial arts attack.  The target is then permitted a chance to dodge/block. The target them makes a martial arts check.  If it fails, then the target is it.  If he succeeds, it depends on if the target succeed by more.  If the target does succeeded by more, then the attack is blocked.  If he doesn't then he is still hit.  

Acrobatics can be used to dodge attacks.  If declared ahead of time, treat it as opposed roles and whichever one succeeds by more wins.  I would give a penalty to acrobatics in such a case, but it is up to you.  

I have been working on rules for duels (both gun and sword).  Once those are done, I will do a more detailed account of hand-to-hand combat as well and put them out with the dueling rules.  

I am glad you like the game and thanks for your question.

Anjir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
Wow. Thank you for your answer, I couldn't have been explained this better. I had another question: Will there be any crafting tables for things that are not automatons or machines as well as maybe higher "DCs" depending on material used, like a list of different metals and their effects I.E: Uranium, Plutonium and stuff like that, their durability etc.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
I checked the forum permissions and people should be able to create new topics and post in this forum.  If there are still problems let me know.

I am not sure I fully understand your question, so if I don't answer what you want ask again.  I take it you are asking two things.

1.  Rules for creating different items.  I suppose that really depends on what type of item you are thinking of.  If it is a fun barrel, gear, sword, horseshoe, etc. that would be Forging and covered under that skill.  Just make a simple check to see if it is crafted. Can you give me an example of the type of item you are thinking of that you don't think the item creation rules currently cover?  I didn't include gunpowder.  If you were needing to compute something based on that I would use pneumatic.  Both involve pressure, often sudden.  

2.  You are looking for a list of more types of materials and their relative difficulty, correct?  Something along those lines is in the works.  I have planned creating a list for alchemy and technology of items and their properties.  This would eventually include suggested difficulty levels.

Anjir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
For example, if you want to create for example a hang-glider for example, what would it be? Forging or Engineering? And yes, gunpowder was also a big question to me, but I guessed it would be under alchemy in the future
As for the metals, was it going to be implemented in additional rulebooks or in the core one?
Yes, I do have the rights, thanks a lot

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
Making the metal parts for the hang-glider would be forging,  But designing a workable hang-glider would be engineering.  

Here is how it would break down:

1.  Move in air, so 20
2.  No power, so 0
3.  N/A because no power
4.  Levers - 5
5.  Not exactly propulsion, but it does require wings, do 5
6  No weapons - 0
7.  No additional effects - 0

So 30 is what you would need for a basic glider that is powered by jumping off cliffs or airships.  It assumes the conditions are right for it.  If you want to make it work in other conditions, then you would need to decide how.  Spring powered propeller would add at minimum 17.  Do you want it engineered to take advantage of weak updrafts?  That would be a moderate effect, so an extra 5.  Does it easily fold up?  That would be 5.  

Does that help?

Black powder is VII in Alchemy.  That is how it would be made.  Now, using black powder for weapons or other purposes would be engineering.  For example, you were trying to make a black powder land mine.  That would be engineering.  Its difficulty would be around 20-30 for a weight based land mine.  

There may be changes to the core rulebook, but it would be editing or clarification.  There won't be any new content.  There will either be a big technology supplement that will cover information on metals and their properties, or it may be added to one of out other supplements.

Anjir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
Alright, thank you for your time! If you need additional brains by the way I'll be glad to help you out if need is.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
Thanks for the offer.  We have a bunch of projects in the works so we will need to get feedback on some material before going on sale.