Author Topic: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One  (Read 16294 times)

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
Hope no one minds - I thought I would copy the part one to this site in its entirety, if I can.  Changes I have made:  I have omitted dates and sig lines, and corrected spelling (as I can't help myself).  I have also changed Brand's name to Silvereye, to keep continuity.  Am posting it as one page per post.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:43:14 PM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
deimos3428
Ok, we're getting near to "go time", just awaiting on a few more details. To whet everyone's appetite, the assembled cast is as follows:

Palestine D'Abernon - a young warrior woman of noble birth (Lucyjoyce)
Orren Alkath - a curious soul of elfin appearance and considerable mystical talents (Avurax)
Tarnus Renmar - an experienced, wandering man of the cloth (Jehar)
Vrepix the Many-Tongued - a prototypical kobold scoundrel if there ever was one (Grimcleaver)
Oliver deGallows - an enigmatic ne'er-do-well that has now submitted his backstory (RakintheBlue)
Silvereye - a silent, cloaked figure of elven stature, with a heavily scarred visage (Brand)

To those with finished Avatars, I have sent some info on the adventure leading up to the start of play. Below is a generic version of the same, for the benefit of our audience and those that have not yet received it.

Adventure Background

The lawful folk of Willowvale, situated south-west of Junnat in Mirsylvanis, have lived some eight years in the shadow of the fearsome sorcerer, Balthus. This vassal of Rakbasil XI, evil Emperor of neighbouring Mesphosia, occupies a great black citadel set upon Craggen Rock. This fortress is nestled deep in the foothills of the Gygean mountains that separate the two nations. Word has now leaked from his domain that his ambitious plans of conquest will commence with the vale itself. Deep within the caverns of Craggen Rock, Balthus is recruiting an army of fearsome horrors, and is preparing to attack within the week!

All of this was revealed to you when you responded to the royal summons. Let's face it -- it's not every day you're called to the royal court of Mirsylvanis, so when the frantic messenger from good King Radivax himself arrived, you each made your way immediately for Junnat without delay. The king welcomed you enthusiastically, introduced you to several other hand-picked members of your group, and explained his plan. The battle could be avoided without innocent bloodshed if Balthus were to be assassinated before his army could be amassed.

That was almost a week ago, now. Those of you that didn't already know each other have had time to get acquainted. You have now left Willowvale behind, on the long hike to the citadel. At the foot of the hill of Craggen Rock, you can see its outline against the dark sky...and you begin to plan

One more thing. As several of you are phenomenally wealthy, King Radivax had requested that you limit the amount of cash on hand to $1000, so that you would not fund the Mephosian military campaign in the event you were captured or robbed. The rest, including any expensive jewelry, will be securely held for you in the royal vaults at Junnat. (This request was made in the past, so to those of you this affects, please PM me if you do not wish to comply.)
Night has fallen a few hours ago. You've been briefed on the citadel, and it has but one obvious entrance -- a massive set of gates guarded by a bevy of bizarre creatures. If there are other ways in, they are not known. You also know that these gates are opened at dusk and sealed again shortly after midnight. If you tarry, nobody will be allowed entrance until the next evening.

As you plan your next move, the captain of the royal escort that has been accompanying you on the journey to this point informs you they may go no further. Their orders are to hold camp here before the citadel, and await your return. If you do not return within 48 hours, their orders are to rush back to Willowvale and fight the anticipated onslaught to the last man, giving the armies of Mirsylvanis as much time as possible to assemble and secure Junnat. They offer to care for your mounts and any other bulky items with them, for they will do you no good on the rocky terrain ahead.
What do you do?

Vrepix
"Forty-eight hours..." the little kobold gives a sigh and sits forward on the barrel he was seated on, rubbing a gloved finger across the edge of his longdagger, laughter twinkling in his campfire-lit eyes "that's not a lot of time to get in and do the deed."

He mulled over the details for a long minute, rubbing the long twirl of blue-black beard between two long thin mint green fingers. "It's an awful risk we'll waste a lot of time if we poke around aimlessly looking for a secret way in--time we may wish we had later. Maybe we could make our way inside unseen? I could pass inside invisibly enough, barring that they have some way to detect me. Certainly a distraction to draw away the attention of the front guard would help with that? Once inside I could drop a rope down for the rest of you to climb up?" the little kobold scratched the side of his face pensively "What say the rest of you...it's the first idea to come to me. Anything to add?"


lucyjoyce
Palestine glances at the kobold. “I like the idea of your slipping in. I’d be willing to act as a distraction, although it sounds like these creatures guarding the gates wouldn’t be too interested in my womanly wiles… do you think a peddler might happen by, offering samples of some tasty sausages? Maybe laced with a sleep-inducing substance? I could play the crone.” Secretly hoping someone has a better idea, she stretches her legs toward the fire, leaning back against her pack.

Vrepix
As the woman speaks up, the kobold flashes her a devilish eye. "I think you'd be surprised how far womanly wiles might get you...even across races. After all these things, whatever type of horrible monster they be, they are still soldiers in a military camp." He leans back, seeming for a minute to roll the idea around in his sordid little brain.

"You've heard the stories of drakes who take to fair maidens, to sweep them off to desolate lair? So long they are not so different from you as a drake, I suppose..." he lets his voice trail off, pulls a sausage from the fire and tears a hunk out of it with pointed razor teeth, his aspect going a bit bestial with the action "...you should do just fine, with or without the sausages.

Silvereye
Listening to the others, I rise, find a hidden vantage point, and carefully ponder the scene before me: How many creatures, and of what kind, await outside? Are these creatures active or standing as guards? How high are the walls? Are there towers? Is the area well lit? What is the distance between our current location and the gate (at a walking pace how long would it take to us to reach the gate)? Is the area before the gate cleared of brush and rocks, or wide open? If it is wide open, how close can we get to the gate unseen?
In a voice, barely a whisper and muffled by the blue-black scarf covering my face below my eyes, I ask, " Do we know what awaits us inside aside from our quarry? Do we know anything more about this grim fortress? An assassination demands stealth and subterfuge...." I turn, cast my silver eyes upon each of my companions, and wait.

Rakin the BlueOliver leans against a nearby tree with his hat pulled low, smiling slightly. With one arm tucked across his chest and the other ending in a fist that can be found resting against his left cheek. he lets out a light innocent chuckle as his companions offer up their suggestions

deimos3428
Silvereye, you look up the hill towards the forbidding shape silhouetted against the night sky. The path leading from your position up Craggen Rock is rather wide, perhaps 20 feet across, but strewn with large rough blocks of dark basalt rock. On either side is a sharp cliff face rising up 10 to 15 feet -- the path has been hewn out of this natural surface and leveled somewhat. It is not perfectly straight, but rather wends back and forth. The natural surface alongside the path is extremely rough and jagged -- it seems like it has been savaged by the claws of some gargantuan beast.

There is little in the way of vegetation, but you tuck behind a block and creep up to take a closer look. The Citadel is less than an hour's climb from your position -- and even on the path it is more of a climb than a walk. The hairs on your neck prickle as you look towards the place, and you are filled with an unnatural and unfamiliar sense of dread.

You cannot make out much of the gate at this distance even with your superior senses. You estimate it is perhaps 30 feet in height, 15 feet in width, with a raised portcullis. You detect movement near it, no doubt those charged with guarding the entrance. It is quite troubling that even with your night vision, the area around the wall appears to be shrouded in permanent shadow -- but then again, this is the home of a demonurge. The Citadel seems to be composed of the same sort of basalt rock. It consists of a large wall surrounding a wide courtyard, and a towering central keep that rises to several hundred feet. The outer wall is cut with wickedly sharp looking crenellations and arrow slits, and reaches perhaps fifty feet.
There do not seem to be any other obvious entrances to the Citadel, but you do notice not far ahead a side path -- perhaps five feet wide, descending into a crack in the basalt rock. It appears to lead to somewhere directly underneath the dark castle.

Vrepix
Vrepix smiles and gives an apologetic shrug. "Stealth and subterfuge require time. We have no time. We are tossed the knife and told to run in and do the deed. Alas that is our lot if we are not to see our homelands overrun. We know our friend traffics with demons, and with Rakbasil's lackeys...which tells us a bit, but not as much as we will know once we get inside."
As he says this, a warm glow of Alfar casting spreads over him and he begins to fade. "But, you're right of course. We mustn't be too hasty. Find a place secure inside where we can watch and plan and find our time to strike. No good getting inside, just to get killed in a desperate flailing attack thereafter."

By this point, the wisp of a kobold is utterly gone. The barrel wobbles a bit as he hops down off of it, little puffs of dust and tiny footprints where he lands.
"So come up with your distraction plan." the voice comes low and confidential from...nowhere, "I'm headed up toward the gate. I'll find a hiding spot upwind where I can take cover until I'm clear to go in." the voice sounds a bit more distant, "Hey, so don't disappoint me!"

Vrepix heads down the excavated road, sticking close to the face of the cliff, moving quickly. No great need for obfuscation, being invisible. At least not until he gets a good deal closer. As he trots in toward the fortress, he keeps his eyes peeled, looking around intently at everything, taking the opportunity to get some of that lovely information of which they at present have so worryingly little. In his wretched little heart a prayer goes up to the "Mors" that at least if they have to die out here in this blasted wilderness, that at least they'll give these nasties something to remember them by--something to think twice about.

deimos3428
Well done so far folks.

Vrepix, you head on down the path invisibly. I'll give some of the quieter members of the group a chance to post before I tell you what happens next, but as you go along you see more or less what I described to Silvereye, above. You note the quiet wylf has some truly remarkable senses -- you didn't even see the side path until you were almost upon it!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:00:36 AM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »
Silvereye
I watch Vrepix dissipate and listen till his footfalls cannot be heard on the main path. "Rash.... We have two paths, and many choices. I will not attempt the gate if a less obvious route can be found." I nod towards the smaller path, turn my eyes back on my companions, and wait.

Vrepix
Stops at the branching path as it appears, peering down it to the crack in the castle wall. He comes to a stop where the two roads part ways and sits himself on a rock to await his fellows, uncertain which path they will choose--but interested to see.

Certainly he had no great desire to go bumping around in some dank dungeon beneath the foundation of the fortress, lost in sprawling catacombs when the time came to act. On the other hand he even less cared for the idea of waiting for friends and who might never arrive, choosing another path and leaving him high and dry to take on a whole army by himself. No, he'd wait for a while, munch the last of his sausage link, and see what fate had in store.

Avurax
Orren, seemingly lost in thought and quietly conversing with himself, doesn't seem to notice his companions stopped. He begins meandering at a slow pace down the side path, surveying his surroundings (road, walls, sky). "My first quest and at the behest of the king himself no less" Orren whispers, with a huge smile on his face.

deimos3428
Fate's been very, very busy indeed.

Vrepix, you only gets a few paces towards your destination rock before you sense movement in front of you. Lots of movement, and enough to make a kobold drop a sausage in shock and awe. Orren, you get a horrible prickling feeling as all the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, and you wheel about almost involuntarily to see a horrifying sight.

Silvereye, your keen senses manage to detect the creature approaching, but by the time you are able to vocalize a warning it is nearly on top of the group. The very large, very repellent creature swoops down with supernatural speed, moving far faster than anything you've ever experienced.

As it dramatically slows its approach and stops in your midst, seeming almost oblivious to threat, its gigantic black bat-like wings blast the group with massive quantities of acrid air, sending poor Vrepix sprawling backward and making the rest of you test your footing against the force. It's momentum stalled, the beast meets gravity with a thunderous crash that shakes the rocky hillside, and a stench of soot and death assaults your keen senses and makes you all want to vomit. A wavering trail of filthy black smoke lies in its wake, now also encompassing the creature and stinging your eyes. Standing perhaps twice as tall as a human and proportionally wider, it has large sharp horns that jut from its angular head and its snakelike body that ends in cloven goat-like hooves. It raises a taloned hand in your direction and speaks in a voice which is odd...actually, it's surprisingly high-pitched and whiny.
"Tremble mortals, for today DOOM is upon you! You shall not endure the onslaught of Yatsraf Ya'wa! Suffering beyond your wildest imagin -- -- --

Oh, oh wow. Now this, this is something else. Hey chummers, I almost didn't recognize you! I can see Fluffy, Fatty, and Flameboy, but where's the Orc and that delightful dreary fellow? You two sure cleaned up well, but I guess Flameboy grabbed the wrong end of an ugly stick. The kobold and priest I haven't met, guess you must have snuck by when I was on break, but I'm sure you're both sickeningly lovely people. He grins widely, displaying rows of jagged teeth, and then addresses Oliver. "But you sir...pardon me but you look like Hell. I mean talk about a fall from Grace! Didn't you used to run the show? Hey, if you're looking for a reference, I can maybe hook you up with a Netherlord or something. Send me your C.V. after this gig, ok buddy? We've all got to stick together in this economy."

You are all rather confused by the sudden jovial familiarity and unusual rambling, but remain on high guard, ready for almost anything. You can't escape a feeling of utter dread. This guy is clearly very bad news, and what's worse he thinks he knows you. The formerly snarling beast then implodes with an audible *pop* and takes the form of a much smaller and almost handsome little devil, about two feet in height. Fluttering gracefully just above the ground for a moment, he seems to sense your confusion and comes to an internal realization.

"Oh ri-ight! You silly mortals just have no sense of alternate reality, do you? Ok, ok, never mind. We got off on the wrong foot there, I'm sorry, so let's just start all over. You can call me "Yats" this time around, and your names don't matter I don't wanna even know. Now before you get all crazy, let's get a couple of things straight.

First off, you can't really harm me so don't even bother. The absolute best you'll manage is send me to the nether realms, and y'know what? I'm off duty, so after we've had our little pow-wow, I'm heading back there anyway. And in case you hadn't heard there's also rather impressive evil sorcerer about who will just call me right back up again if you start causing trouble. So put the weapons down and let's have a nice friendly little chat, shall we? He grins enthusiastically and nods at you.  
Second, yeah, I can see the kobold. Nice try, though. He rolls his eyes.  

We've got important business to discuss, so shut your ugly mugs already an' quit plotting on how to take me down and listen, because we haven't much time. See, that stunt you guys pulled way back elsewhen that you don't even remember got me demoted. I'm stuck in this wretched little imp form, getting called up for demeaning errands by a mortal like some shmuck! So thanks a bunch for that, but I'm willing to let bygones be bygones. I'm going to lay it all out for you, because you seem a bit slow.

Here's the deal. You can take the path up the gate, or you can take the path down into the hillside, or you can split up if you really want -- it don't matter to me, and I can't give you any advice or information either way. The sorcerer knows you're here already, I told him myself. Don't look so surprised, and forget about it, he said you're not a threat and he's right. Straight up, he'll wipe the floor with the lot of ya, easily. So you're gonna need some help to take him down, one way or the other. Now you seem like such lovely people, but much as I'd like I can't help ya at all. Contract. Devil. Conflict of interest, see."

His whining, tinny voice then drops to a barely audible whisper and he leans forward in mid-air.

"But...maybe you can help me. See, I want this wicked, evil, wretched powerful sonofabitch to die just as much as you do. Moreso, in fact, because I want to take his filthy, tarnished soul back to the nether realms and...well, you'll find out if you go, I don't want to spoil THAT surprise. But the point is if I can cash in that account, I'll definitely move me a coupla rungs up the nether ladder, y'know? So when you face him, he will no doubt call upon me to aid him, and I will be called up into his service. When he calls for me specifically by name, Yatsraf Ya'wa, that's when you need to act. Throw the contents of this pouch, which is just some very special dust, over his protection circle to break it. If you do that I'll handle the rest, mortals. What d'ya say, mates, help a struggling imp out?"

A small black pouch appears floating next to the imp, covered in deep red runes that glow eerily, and lands on the ground with a soft thud. Sensing your hesitation, the imp chuckles to himself and adds:

"Hey, I totally understand, I get it. You can't trust me, cuz I'm a devil and all that. Point taken. Tell you what, I'll sweeten the deal I'll promise not to harm any of you, or anybody but Balthus, for the duration of my stay in this realm after I'm called up if you agree to break the circle. Imp's honor. In fact, that's what's written on the bag, and it's binding. So it's up to you, but if you refuse, I won't even have a choice in the matter. I'll be compelled to attack you and so will any other creatures he calls. So you work it out and decide what it'll be, but sometimes you gotta go with the devil you know or...well, you get the drift. Ciao, bellas."

He then dematerializes into thick black smoke, which begins to mercifully waft away from your retinas.

lucyjoyce
"So much for the element of surprise." Palestine dabbed at the edge of her irritated eye. "Definitely think we should take the bag, even though I'm not too crazy about the giver. Something along the lines of "my enemy's enemy is my friend" would apply here, I suppose." She slings her pack over her shoulder and turns to face the others. "Who wants to carry it? We need to get moving."

Avurax
Walking toward Palestine, I ask if she minds me examining the bag. If allowed to do so, I examine the runes on the outside of the bag to see if I can decipher any of them. Afterward, I open the bag and examine its contents by licking my finger and dipping it into the bag. I look at the powder, smell it and then touch it to my tongue.

Assuming I am still alive and conscious, I echo Palestine's recommendation that we get a move on. "While I would very much like to explore the side path, it sounds like speed is of the essence. If the bugger truly has warned Balthus of our pending arrival, we should take the direct route. I believe I have the ability to open a hole (or two) through the very walls. They will remain open for but a minute but should allow all of us to pass through."

"As to the infernal creature who just departed, I do not believe we should consort with demons. However, my rudimentary knowledge of protective circle magic tells me the slightest imperfection or break bring spell doom for one relying on its magic. I do not see any harm in attempting to use this powder for the disruption of our enemy’s sorcery."

Vrepix
"Well...rats!" Vrepix mumbles, dispelling his invisibility in a pall of twinking fog, long-dagger out. He twirls it and resheathes the blade.

"So since we can't kill it--yet, I guess we're stuck with the offer. Truth be told, much as I hate mucking around in dungeons I think that's our best shot." He shrugs apologetically, though his eyes twinkle with a sparkle of malevolence. "Look if we're going to figure out how to end that little bundle of daemonic glee, we're better off looking down in the occult libraries and such, down there. Besides, he knows we're coming, right? So he's going to be securing the front. At least down there we'll have traps and such we can drag any pursuers through. No fun, but better chances to live." he nods emphatically, then suddenly looks a little ill.

"Gads...I hate dungeons."

deimos3428
Avurax wrote:
Walking toward Palestine, I ask if she minds me examining the bag. If allowed to do so, I examine the runes on the outside of the bag to see if I can decipher any of them. Afterward, I open the bag and examine its contents by licking my finger and dipping it into the bag. I look at the powder, smell it and then touch it to my tongue.  
Orren, you investigate the sigils on the bag. They are written in some sort of infernal script, but unfortunately you cannot decipher them. Perhaps if you could take it back to the College library, you might make some sense of them with access to the volumes therein. However, at the very end of the writing are three simple words in the common language: "stay far away".
The bag opens easily, and inside is a small quality of what appears to be odorless (and tasteless) black soot. You find it completely unremarkable in appearance, and nothing malign occurs as you test it.

lucyjoyce
Palestine raises an eyebrow at Orren. "So do think those words in common are a message, or just our friendly demon writing his name backwards?"

Vrepix
"Yats Raf Yawa?" the kobold looks puzzled. "Think it's advice, but say it out loud if we see him again--just in case. Can't hurt."

...suddenly his jaw goes slack as he makes the connection. Yatsraf Ya'wa. Oooh.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:01:52 AM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
Avurax
So what say you, fellow travelers? Do we go over, through or around? The, um kobold, has a point about the front entrance. However, along one of the walls where no entrance currently exists is still an option. Though the prospect of running a trap filled gauntlet doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, I am sure we could find something of interest along the side path. We might find a death trap; we might find a helpful wandering theurgist looking to join us on our mission. You just never know. For speed, my vote is through. For adventure, my vote is around via the side path.

deimos3428
Avurax wrote:
we might find a helpful wandering theurgist looking to join us on our mission.  

Ahem. "Paging Doctor Tarnus...Doctor Tarnus to the Pathway Fork please, Doctor Tarnus."

Silvereye
Joining the others, I ask, "Who will carry the bag to break the circle?" To Vrepix in sotto voce, "We can check both paths quickly. I prefer the side path. Do we wait to hear from the Laughing Man and the other?"

I secure my equipment, making sure it does not make a sound, and resume my watch.

Avurax
Orren anxiously plays with his sausage; his thoughts shifting from an overwhelming curiosity about the crack in the basalt to how attractive Palestine looks by firelight. "If we don't make a decision soon, my curiosity will explode and I will have to act" he mutters as he finishes with his sausage.

lucyjoyce
“Adventure? I think there will be plenty of that no matter which plan we choose.” Palestine watches the royal escort secure the campsite for the night. “The two entrances we know about will probably be watched.” She turns to Orren, wondering if any of the boy she knew remains in the man before her. “If you can really open a hole in the wall for us, that sounds like the safest bet. Maybe we can surprise them a bit after all. The bag needs to be carried by someone who can be unobtrusive and can deploy it quickly. I vote for either Vrepix or Silvereye. Unless you had planned to carry it yourself? “

Shielding her eyes from the campfire, Palestine scanned the faces of the camp occupants. Wasn’t Tarnus here somewhere? He would have some ideas…

Vrepix
"I'll best be carrying it," says the kobold, stepping up to take the bag, "seems safe enough since we've tasted it and it hasn't caused anyone to melt or implode, or burst into flame...yet." he snickers, tossing a knowing glance over his shoulder wrapping the top of the bag over his belt and tying the cinch ropes a few times to secure it. Last thing he needed was for the blasted thing to go tumbling into a pit or over a parapet as they went running around.

"So we're on our way through the wall, are we? Well no place I like to be like pickin' the gore out from the jaws of certain death." He smiles broadly and recasts his invisibility glamour, starting to twinkle and fade into semi transparency as he walks. "That is if Orren's done playing with his sausage?"

He skips his way ahead down the path, keeping to the shadows and behind blocks and rubble until fully invisible, then begins to bound his way down the main path at a loping gate. Better he scout ahead, just so the rest of his associates don't meet any nasty surprises further down the road.

Avurax
Ki, er Silvereye, did you happen to notice any places that would make a good breach point? Specifically, a spot away from the main gate but maybe close enough to a building where we could sneak in? If so, I suggest we head that way and I will try and get us in. If not, we probably need to guess. Either the side we are on (assuming it's not the same wall as the front gate) or the rear. Either way, we should be off.

If Vreprix looks like he is heading off in a reasonable direction and Silvereye didn't get a peek at the lay of the land, I will try following his tracks as best I can.

Silvereye
Gesturing towards the distant keep: "Orren, the inner tower is the key. If we do breach the outer wall, the courtyard is a deathtrap." Sighing, I pause to listen for Vrepix footfalls as he scrambles up the basalt road. "This is foolish. If you wish, I will follow him by sound...and smell. Yet I will not...." My voice falters--the last few words inaudible to your human ears.

I begin to move towards the road. Relying on my senses to find a suitable breach and for signs of Vrepix, I keep to the shadows and the natural rock formations for cover.

deimos3428
(At this point I'm going to assume that Tarnus and Oliver are merely in quiet contemplation, following the rest of the group. Feel free to jump in, guys, but we've got to keep moving!)

Vrepix, Palestine, Orren and Silvereye: You begin your ascent of the path, making your way towards the fork in the path. Vrepix takes the lead, and the rest of you do your best to follow, never quite sure exactly where he is. Fortunately, he's relying heavily on his natural ability and skipping along instead of actively attempting to be slow and stealthy, so you do catch enough tell-tale hints to get a general idea of where he's going -- footprints, bits of swirling dust, the dubious smell of sausage-induced flatulence. Considering your options, you look about.

You note the side path descends again from the fork, disappearing into a small cave-like opening. You cannot see more than a few feet inside from your position near the fork, but perhaps it is the key to entering the keep.

Upwards, the main path continues its rubble strewn ascent. You see a few flying bat-like creatures circling high above -- no doubt imps, or worse...an aerial assault seems doomed to failure. But nearer the wall itself, you might make your way to either side shrouded in the unnatural darkness that pervades the area.

The gates themselves are shut tight, and no guards are visible at present, though a small gatehouse stands on either side. A heavy iron portcullis is raised, suggesting that entry via the main gates is still a possibility as well.

At this point, Vrepix bounds off along the main path as described above. What do the rest of you do?

Avurax
Orren does his best to follow along with Vreprix. He tries to remain as much in the shadows as possible to avoid detection from above. "Curse this wretched place".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:19:59 AM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »
Silvereye
I stop where Vrepix left the path: I survey the walls, gate, and gatehouses again, and look to the sky to study the beasts overhead. How close are we to the gate, the gatehouses, and the wall? Are we among the basalt rocks on the path or against the curtain wall? If we are close to the gate, how much open space lies before us? How far do these odd shadows extend?

Motioning to the others for silence, I listen for Vrepix and try and gauge his direction.

Vrepix
In the dirt where the Vrepix tracks stop, just a few steps before a cluster of basalt rocks, an invisible finger traces an exclamation point and an arrow pointing away off the road toward the rocks.

The little footprints pad off the road and behind cover and there Vrepix once again goes through the process of becoming visible, clearly worried, body pressed up against the rocks, eyes fixed on the wind milling imps in the distance.

deimos3428
Vrepix, the path widens rapidly as you near the citadel on top of the hill. The walls of the path created as it was cut into the natural rock face grow shorter and shorter as you progress up the last stretch, until you find yourself on top of a tall blackened plateau. You glance back and spot your companions following "stealthfully", and try not to chuckle too hard. Humans, well, what can you do?

It is here that you are finally able to veer off the path and get out of the direct line towards the gate, and you decide to make a graphical note in the dirt for the others. There is not much in the way of cover now, but small boulders lay about as if tossed aside by a giant -- enough for your tiny form to hide behind. You tuck in close to one, about 50 feet from the main gate, 30' to the left of center -- right on the edge of the seemingly permanent shadows that surround the structure. Now visible, you look about warily as the high-flying imps circle above.

The rest of you are finding it more and more difficult to track the kobold as he trots off, even though you know he's scouting out ahead. Silvereye's keen senses manage to keep a lock on his location, but he visibly struggles to concentrate on him. Just when you think you've lost him, you spot his marks in the dirt and look over as he winks back into view, some 30' to your left behind a boulder, crouched low and looking up nervously.

Fifty feet before you, the main gate looms ominously. The wall itself is a jagged black surface of hewn stone, uniform in appearance. There is no evidently superior location for a breach, but a close inspection of the wall may yet reveal something, perhaps. Fortunately, you see no guards atop the tall black wall, so it might not be difficult to reach its base.

You can definitely hear muffled grunts (and transiently, a strange hacking cough) coming from the left-most guard house now. Someone or something is inside, and by the sounds of it they are making their way outside. You'll have to take quick action if you want to avoid being seen, as you're standing in the open near the end of the path. The shadowy gloom surrounding the structure makes difficult to make out detail, but you're not so sure that the something within would have a problem spotting you..

Avurax
Ala Tule Paha Kakku Tuke Hyva Kakku

Silvereye
With a hiss of disgust, I scan the area around me for cover and whisper to the others, "Hide." If this means retracing our steps ten or twenty feet to the cut basalt walls of the path so be it. We should never had taken the road and let ourselves be marked so easily. I watch, pause for a moment, and quietly make my way towards cover.

I would like to find a hiding spot where I can continue to observe the guardhouse and Vrepix. If the only suitable cover is farther down the path (and we make it), I will listen for movement and watch the skies above.

deimos3428
Orren begins casting an Activation of some sort, mumbling as in the above post.  

Silvereye, you see no suitable cover on the plateau proper. The boulders are far too small to conceal anyone of your stature or that of the humans -- they are barely enough to provide Vrepix with a bit of cover. Hugging the massive stone wall itself would provide the most cover, but you don't know what horrors might be dropped on you from above. You don't see anyone, though. You quickly make a few arcane gestures, and are soon one with the pervasive shadow of the region. Unsatisfied with the duration of that cloaking, you also activate another activation that should get you through the next few hours in relative safety. Both go off without a hitch, but the second has no visible component to it -- you simply feel it's presence.

Palestine, as someone rather familiar with castles, you realize that this layout is by design. The path is steeply angled in such a fashion that you can either gain cover from the gatehouse, or visibility of the gatehouse, but not both simultaneously. In short, if you can see it -- it can see you. The 50' castle wall looming overhead would certainly be able to look down upon almost the entirety of the path's length. By all rights, you should be a tightly packed group of pincushions if there were archers on the battlements at the ready. As you consider your options, Orren touches you lightly on the arm. To your surprise, you shimmer and fade from sight!

LM Note: It would seem that no creatures are destined to arrive on the scene in this AB (three ABCs; approximately 12 seconds). To avoid excessive granularity, I consider ABCs to be atomic units -- meaning there is no such thing as a partial ABC. In short, one AB = up to three relatively quick actions. One ABC has been consumed in observation and planning. Palestine, Tarnus, Vrepix and Oliver have not posted for this AB and may still take up to two actions (or one slightly larger one). Silvereye and Orren have consumed their remaining time on activations and will not be able to act until next AB. Currently only Orren, Tarnus and Oliver remain in plain sight on the path.

lucyjoyce
As the party reaches the top of the path, Palestine hears the sounds coming from the gatehouse on the left. “Great!” she thinks to herself. “Totally exposed. Balthus will be picking us off like sitting ducks.” Hearing the cloaked wylf’s admonishment to hide, she turns, preparing to retreat down the path to a point of concealment. She hears Orren nearby, muttering some gibberish. His touch on her arm pauses her flight, as she looks down, amazed and bewildered by the change coming over her body. Invisibility! Changing direction at once, she quickly moves to the base of the castle wall, pulling out her long sword and attempting to get in position to immobilize the guard.

Vrepix
Folded up against the underside of a rock, torn with uncertainty and fear, a stronger emotion washes over the kobold--a twinge of conscience like warm pins and needles from his face down his neck, as if the "Mors" himself were staring reproachfully at his cowardice, his lack of inventiveness and creativity, his loss of control. He flinches as if pinned through the chest by it. With an expression, half indignant scowl, half twisting sneer he gets up from behind his rock, fully visible and totally unprotected and begins a rather spritely march straight toward the front gates from whence the sounds of approaching sudden doom resonate. One way or the other, this should be good.

deimos3428
<Oliver and Tarnus are awkwardly thrown back down the path by the plotful hand of the LM in the interest of keeping things moving right along.>

We'll figure out how to fix that later, suffice to say they never left camp for some reason, and while you wonder what's keeping them, the rest of you don't fear for their safety nearly as much as for your own right now.

You hear the grunts get louder as a figure exits the guardhouse. As it emerges, the vocalizations gets clearer.

"Yoof! Yoof! YOOF!" "Yoofraidies, we gots company! I told ya I spotted something, git out here!"

The creature is quite the sight to behold, with a large ape's body and the head of a great striped cat. He holds a giant axe in his muscular arms, and seems to be trying to shout and whisper over his shoulder to someone behind him. You then hear a clear, articulate voice respond.

"I'm coming, Tigris. And for the last time, it's pronounced Euphrates. Ask them what they want."

Padding along on all fours, his counterpart emerges -- an immaculately well groomed creature with the body of a mighty tiger and the head of a gorilla. The former creature turns and snarls to the kobold racing towards him:

"State your business in Craggen Rock!"

Vrepix
Okay, now just to keep the two talking long enough for the others--presumably invisible still, to slip into the castle.

"Ah. Yes. Tigris? Euphrates, is it? My master..." the kobold says with a swish of his cape, whereupon he reaches down with a finger and invisibly scribes a rune, as though very important, upon the ground "has bid me to discuss alliance with the dark lord of the keep. I would appreciate an audience...unless you'd like me to go back, and tell him your master is not interested? Not wise, that, I would assure you." a broad, feral smile spreads across the devilish chartreuse features of the kobold.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
Silvereye
Through clenched teeth I urge Orren to hide behind me: "Here, in the shadows," and hope he'll be quiet. I try to gauge the distance between me, the two aberrations, and Vrepix.

lucyjoyce
Using the guards’ conversation as cover, Palestine moves quietly toward the gate. Adrenalin coursing through her body, she glances down at her apparently non-corporeal self. “Wish I knew how long this would last”. Praying the kobold will succeed in persuading the guards to open the gate, she positions herself to slip in.

deimos3428
Silvereye stands in front of Orren, hopefully shielding the human from view, some 40 feet away from the guards. Palestine has moved closer to the gate, now just a few paces behind Vrepix and to the right.

Tigris sizes up the kobold suspiciously and sniffs the air. "So do I chop the little guy or what Yoof? He smells like a liar to me."

Euphrates replies, "Kobolds are naturally deceptive, Tigris, and that's also what makes them fine allies." He peers intently over Vrepix's shoulder and inquires, "How many are in your party today, sir?"

Vrepix
The kobold laughs lightly. "You mean the yaps from the lands around here who I duped into protecting me? Some protection--they heard you coming and went running back to the king's guard back at camp." He hooks a thumb back toward the road.

"Should have seen them run like shrinking cowards when they heard you coming!" he says with an evil grin, doubling over. "It was great! Told them I'd buy some time, but you can likely catch them...if you're interested in being that thorough. Might be nice for your overlord though to have some terrified stories proceeding you though, no? Give folks time to marinade in their fear?"

Avurax
Orren does his best to hide behind Silvereye, quietly cursing for not being fast enough to inject himself into Vrepix's original story.

deimos3428
Euphrates exchanges a knowing glance with Vrepix and steps to your right, nodding to Tigris to make way for you to pass.

"Very well sir, you may proceed. Welcome to Craggen Rock. Go straight through the gate, no lingering or they'll shoot you dead. Mind the locals, they're not nearly so friendly as us." He grins and turns towards the gate, bellowing, "Open the gate, please! Murder hole captain, one kobold cleared for passage!"

An unseen gatekeeper obeys the command and the doors creep slowly and noisily open, wide enough that the kobold can walk through. Beyond you see the great tower in the distance straight ahead, and a shadowy walled courtyard.

Palestine, just as your hopes are soaring, you hear Tigris sniff and mutter, "Geez Yoof. It's so busy tonight they're formin' a line! Let's keep things movin', cuz I ain't workin' through break again. I smells another indivisible one, so you handle it."

Euphrates' brow furrows as he concentrates for a moment, then turns towards Palestine and leans in, addressing her with a patronizing smile.

"New to travelling abroad, I suppose, dear? You need to tell us why you're here, so we can let you through the security checkpoint. Now are these fellows in the back with you, or is the lovely lady travelling unescorted tonight?"

Avurax
Orren pulls up his dark cloak to hide his face as much as possible. He puffs out his chest and then begins moving toward the strange beasts; trying his best to saunter as he imagined the heroes in his boyhood novels did. He also puts on the best scowl he can manage. "We had been traveling together for mutual protection; though the arrangement will need to be re-evaluated given the mangy kobold's words and actions". "Our business is with the sorcerer Balthus. A particularly vile imp who we can call Ug, as in ugggly, said he was in the vicinity."

Silvereye
After a muttering to myself in the shadows, I quietly follow Orren. Waiting for Euphrates's response, I scan the courtyard, the gate, and the tower in detail.

deimos3428
As you two approach, Silvereye has a fit of sneezing. Euphrates is still waiting expectantly for Palestine's reply, and
Tigris waves his giant axe in Orren and Silvereye's general direction. He pokes the air before you viciously.

"Hey yous, get in back of the line! He said da lady's first, so wait yer turn or else!"

---------------------------------
Nice work so far, guys. We'll give Palestine and Vrepix a chance to respond before proceeding further. "After the gate" seems a natural point to stop the action and award merits, so we'll do a little out-of-character accounting at that point, (assuming Tigris doesn't behead the lot of you).

As for Tarnus and Oliver, if you wish to continue in the campaign please send me a PM and we'll figure out how to re-insert you into the adventure, for now you're frozen in time back in camp. I can see putting you along the side path, or scramble you ahead to the gate here last-minute, and I'm open to player suggestions as well.

Thanks everybody, and I'll be typing to you next from home. Cheers from the beach!

lucyjoyce
With a small curtsy, Palestine keeps her eyes on Euphrates as she scrambles for a reply. “Yes, sir. These two gentlemen are traveling with me. We are to negotiate an alliance that will be favorable to both parties. The kobold gets a bit full of himself – some would even say incorrigible – but he represents an important faction, and so we tolerate him.”

“We had heard rumors of enemies lying in wait near the gate, and so were approaching with extreme caution. I hope you will grant us the safety of the castle walls.”
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
Vrepix
Not one to linger when getting shot is involved, Vrepix shuffles through the gatehouse, through the gauntlet of archers and into the structure beyond. He has a little twinge of regret at not being able to extend his alibi to the others, but he'd figured the invisibility would have given them more of an advantage. Nonetheless, he didn't hear sounds of combat--so best to let them arrange their own alibis and make it up to them later...unless it doesn't come up.

deimos3428
Euphrates notes the kobold has passed inside, and smiles politely to Palestine... and steps aside.

"I thought as much, milady. Go on through and bring your companions with you. Don't let the kobold know I made up the bit about the murder holes though...they're a shady bunch and not to be trusted. Take care now."

He winks and then bellows, "Murder hole Captain, one lady and two ruffian escorts admitted!"


---------
We'll break here, you're all inside. I'm writing this post from the airport so sorry about the brevity.

deimos3428
Sorry for the lull in play, that's my fault. Unless specifically instructed otherwise, I'll assume you all enter the courtyard and get ready for the LM to read his next long-winded chunk of descriptive boxed text.

I am currently evaluating specific merit bonuses for each of you, in addition to a base 100 General Merits for successfully entering the structure. Below is my revised chart on merit expenditures, for reference.

One of the nice things about this method is that I can assign specific merits to any Ability based on your actions, rather than merely to what Abilities you may currently possess. For example, even if you don't possess Minstrelsy, if you do a lot of singing and dancing you'll earn Minstrelsy-specific merits. These will automatically convert to points of Minstrelsy score if enough are obtained -- no need to tell me you're spending them, as they can't be used on anything else!

Deimos' Revised Merit Spending Chart

   
 Code:
New Score:    Cost per Point
01-25:        200 Merits
26-50:        250 Merits
51-75:        300 Merits
76-100:       350 Merits
101-125:      400 Merits
New Ability:  *  
   


* Just start buying points as if you had a score of zero in the Ability. This works out fairly close to the book rule (20% of BR for 2500), and is much easier to figure out. Adding points to Base Ratings will be by the book.

deimos3428
Merits!
Ok, here's the tally I've got thus far, interspersed with a few notes that might help explain why I awarded them. It's rough, but I find that sort of info valuable, hopefully you will as well.

Silvereye - +25 Stealth, hiding Orr behind him. +50 Scrutiny scanning for threats, +25 Enchant
Palestine - +25 Stealth, +25 Pretense, +25 Planning, +25 Arcana.attempting to slip past guard and supporting alibi, planning approach, figuring out runes
Vrepix - +50 Pretense, attempting to foil guards, +25 Nomadic drawing sign on ground, +25 stealth
Orren - +25 Pretense +25 Stealth +25 Enchant, hiding behind Sil, attempting to pass off as bodyguard, casting invis on Palestine, +25 Arcana investigating bag

If anyone feels I've missed anything of critical importance, please let me know. I normally award 25 merits per significant attempt, perhaps 50 if successful. Yes, I do try to keep things more or less even, unless someone obviously stands out. That sounds like a lot, but in keeping with the significantly reduced speed of play in a PBP, I want normal adventure merit advancement to be higher than normal, with perhaps less "bonus rewards" at the end of adventures.

I'll try to get the next descriptive bit posted tonight, time permitting.

deimos3428
You walk forward into a spacious open courtyard surrounded by the massive basalt walls. Though a supernatural gloom pervades the whole of the courtyard, you note several burning and flickering fires. Dimly illuminating the shadows are torches spaced unevenly along the walls. Larger light sources, perhaps campfires, burn to both the left and right. You occasionally catch the silhouettes of several human-sized figures shuffling about in the darkness near them, but you only catch brief glimpses of them.

In the centre of the courtyard is a large stone structure, perhaps a monument of some kind. Looking past across the courtyard you note what appears to be the main entrance to the massive tower, a single but very large iron-bound door. Whatever army is being raised, it is certainly not massing itself here. There aren't even barracks.

Palestine, you are still under the affect of the invisibility. Silvereye looks very unusual -- he almost appears to be at one with the shadows themselves. Orren and Vrepix are currently fully visible, but this does not seem to be provoking a massive onslaught as you initially feared.

Silvereye
Placing a scarred hand on Orren's shoulder, and catching Vrepix with my eyes, I stop. Hoping Palestine can hear, I raise my voice to a crackling whisper, "Before I go further, we need to plan."

lucyjoyce
Uncertain as to her visibility to the denizens of the courtyard, Palestine turns, scanning her surroundings until her eyes come to the barely discernible shape of the wylf next to Orren. With a casual step, she closes the distance. Her voice barely audible, she says "I'm listening."

Avurax
"The denizens of this place either are oblivious or are waiting for us to approach before attacking. We could hug the wall and try our best to hide in the shadows or we could boldly approach the tower acting like we are supposed to be here. A third option would be to have some of the party move along the walls and some stride forward. It wouldn't really be splitting up since we will be within viewing distance."

Ala Tule Paha Kakku Tuke Hyva Kakku

If Avurax vanishes from sight, he recommends that he and Palestine move through the center of the courtyard while Silvereye and Vrepix hug the walls. If not, he curses louder than he should and will wait to consider his companions opinions.

deimos3428
And with those words...Orren vanishes from sight.

Avurax
 Avurax wrote:
"... If Avurax ..."    

Orren just had a strange flashback to a former life. "How long has it been since my belly was full" he thinks to himself. After shaking the cobwebs out of his head, he suggests the party advance as stealthy as possible toward the door. "Palestine, my dear, I haven't been keeping up with the time so I don't know how much longer my enchantment will last. I recommend you make straight for the door if our companions agree that should be our destination."

Barring any dissenting opinions from his companions, Orren will move toward the stone structure examining it to see if there are any markings, visible entrances or anything else of interest.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:21:47 AM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »
Silvereye
I gesture towards the monument, "What about that? No interest?" As my sigh turns to soft laughter I look to where my invisible companions once stood, "Do we walk blindly through another door and hope? We may as well knock."

I study the tower and our surroundings: How many windows dose the tower possess? How high is the tower? Do the imps still circle overhead? Do the creatures that pass the fires look humanoid or humanoid-sized? How far away is the monument? What does the monument look like, or must we get closer? How far away are these campfires?

lucyjoyce
At Orren’s word of warning, Palestine glances down at herself to make sure she is still invisible. “Orren and I can check out the monument en route to the tower. “ she whispers, as she stretches her hand into the space Orren had been standing. “You still there?”

deimos3428
 Silvereye wrote:
I study the tower and our surroundings: How many windows dose the tower possess? How high is the tower? Do the imps still circle overhead? Do the creatures that pass the fires look humanoid or humanoid-sized? How far away is the monument? What does the monument look like, or must we get closer? How far away are these campfires?  
   


The entirety of the courtyard is covered in dense shadows, and clearly supernaturally so. By all rights it should in fact be darker than it is, given that the sun has set, but the gloomy conditions persist throughout -- neither bright nor dark. Silvereye and Vrepix can see as if looking through a light fog to about forty feet, but beyond that things rapidly grow indistinct and you can barely make out anything at all, except for the previously noted light sources. The humans can detect even less visually, with passable visibility reaching a mere twenty feet!

You are some hundred feet from the central tower, and half that to the monument before you and the campfires left and right. The black wall circles widely around the tower from the gate behind you out of sight, but you can detect the aforementioned torches and shadows near them as well. You cannot make out any details of the tower, but it's black form looms large enough in front of you that you. (From your view back in the base camp, you know it to be well over a hundred fifty feet in height.)

If the imps do circle overhead, you certainly cannot detect them. They were very high up, closer to the top of the tower. The creature by the fires are of roughly humanoid size, and seem to move like humanoids, but you cannot see them well at all. The torches and campfires illuminate the area immediately around them, but very poorly even so. You can smell the smoke from the fires -- and the scent of roasting meat on the left. The monument looks like it might be some sort of fountain, but you're not sure from here. You also hear the rapid exchange of two voices near the area of a torch along the wall to your right and ahead, but cannot make out the words.

deimos3428
lucyjoyce wrote:
At Orren’s word of warning, Palestine glances down at herself to make sure she is still invisible. “Orren and I can check out the monument en route to the tower. “ she whispers, as she stretches her hand into the space Orren had been standing. “You still there?”  
   


A small clarification. Gary once described invisibility in LA, and it was closer to being ethereal in D&D terminology. (I don't recall exactly where he said it, but I liked it. So that's how it works in my LA campaigns.)

So, Palestine can see her own body just fine, but can tell she is invisible because the rest of world seems slightly "out of phase". Imagine a sort of shimmering effect, especially at the edges of solid objects. As well, Palestine and Orren can now see each other clearly as they occupy the same phase.

You may also be able to detect certain other invisible objects/creatures, (and vice versa), if they occupy the same phase. However, there are several phases of invisibility and different magicks may employ different phases. Natural kobold invisibility, for example, employs a separate phase from that of the enchantment employed by Orren. So if Vrepix were to go invisible, you wouldn't see each other without some sort of additional detection. But he could tell you how many other kobolds were about.

Silvereye
deimos3428 wrote:
If the imps do circle overhead, you certainly cannot detect them. They were very high up, closer to the top of the tower. The creature by the fires are of roughly humanoid size, and seem to move like humanoids, but you cannot see them well at all. The torches and campfires illuminate the area immediately around them, but very poorly even so. You can smell the smoke from the fires -- and the scent of roasting meat on the left. The monument looks like it might be some sort of fountain, but you're not sure from here. You also hear the rapid exchange of two voices near the area of a torch along the wall to your right and ahead, but cannot make out the words.    



Before moving towards the voices, I tell my invisible companions, "I'll meet you by the fountain...or the door."

I keep to the shadows, if possible, and move close enough to hear the conversation -- just within the limits of my heightened Wylfish senses. (If we must pass the fountain first and I can make out the conversation, I'll stop my companions so I can listen, then quietly inform them what I've heard).

deimos3428
Silvereye wrote:
   
 deimos3428 wrote:
If the imps do circle overhead, you certainly cannot detect them. They were very high up, closer to the top of the tower. The creature by the fires are of roughly humanoid size, and seem to move like humanoids, but you cannot see them well at all. The torches and campfires illuminate the area immediately around them, but very poorly even so. You can smell the smoke from the fires -- and the scent of roasting meat on the left. The monument looks like it might be some sort of fountain, but you're not sure from here. You also hear the rapid exchange of two voices near the area of a torch along the wall to your right and ahead, but cannot make out the words.  
   



Before moving towards the voices, I tell my invisible companions, "I'll meet you by the fountain...or the door."

I keep to the shadows, if possible, and move close enough to hear the conversation -- just within the limits of my heightened Wylfish senses. (If we must pass the fountain first and I can make out the conversation, I'll stop my companions so I can listen, then quietly inform them what I've heard).  
   


Silvereye, you creep off towards the voices to your right. I'll wait for the others to act before I tell you what you see/what happens.

-------------------
I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a split party in this format yet. I think I may simply post in the open and require you to exercise your knowledge separation muscles. PMs would be cumbersome, though perhaps a separate thread would work.

Avurax
Orren can't resist inspecting the monument. He takes Palestine's hand and moves toward the object in the center of the courtyard. "The fair lady and I will scout the monument, old friend." Orren whispers to Silvereye. "Good fortune. We will look for you at the fountain if you can make it or the door if you cannot."

deimos3428
Ok. Just waiting on Vrepix's actions, then.

deimos3428
We'll be running the split party in sub-sections of this thread for now, for everyone's enjoyment. Do attempt to keep player/character knowledge separate. (Vrepix, to keep things moving along I picked a direction for ya.)

Orren and Palestine:
You turn to ask the kobold's plans, and see Vrepix scampering off to the left, fading into invisibility as he goes. Silvereye creeps off to the right to the wall, soon lost from view as well. You head up the middle, striding confidently towards the monument under the shield of your invisibility. Casting your eyes over the strange structure, you note that on closer inspection it appears not to be a fountain after all, but a temple of some sort. On the right side there is a wooden door, which is closed.

Silvereye:
You leave your companions behind and stalk about in the shadows, feeling quite at home with your shadowy form, but knowing it will wear off any second now. As you draw closer, two rather unkempt looking humans come into view, standing in the dim illumination of the torch. As you approach their voices continue to crescendo -- from the wild gesticulations you determine that they are in fact arguing. The taller of the two stands about six feet, and holds a green-hilted dagger by the blade, keeping it from the other's reach. The man is shorter by nearly a foot, and is frantically grasping at the hilt amidst the argument. Both have scabbarded swords, cloth armor, and ratty looking clothing.

"$2000 for the blade, and not a penny less! It's a Nev-R-Miss!"
"You're daft man! I'll give ye $500 and you'll be happy for it in this market."
"$500? I'd run ye through for less!"
"And even with that one, ye'd miss."
"It's a Nev-R-Miss, ya cad!"

The argument continues in this fashion and threatens to break out into violence at any moment, with both sides growing steadily more angry.

Vrepix:
You head along the wall on the left, leaving your companions to their ramblings. The shadows make it very difficult to see, and a loose stone slips underneath your foot. You try to catch yourself, but your flailing arms grasp nothing but air as you fall headlong into a deep pit! Skillfully catching yourself, you manage to suffer only a single point of Harm as you land in a surprisingly cushioned heap, and breathe a sigh of relief. Looking up, it's about 12' to the surface.

The bottom is cool and damp, and covered with about an inch-thick film of greasy, pungent sludge. Your eyes go wide as you suddenly realize where you've smelled this odor before -- it's cooking fat, or perhaps the drippings from a campfire spit!

lucyjoyce
"Can you tell anything about this door?" Palestine whispers to Orren. "Think it's safe to take a peek inside?"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:24:20 AM by lucyjoyce »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:59:28 AM »
Avurax
I would like to get more information about the structure. How large is it? What is it made of? Are there any markings?
Regardless, Orren's courisous nature makes him try the door. He is not going to throw it open but rather see if it is unlocked and unstuck by trying to open it just a tiny crack.

deimos3428
Orren and Palestine:
You easily open the door a crack, just enough to peer inside. Inside is a small room lit by candlelight, and a rather unusual sight. A carved stone altar with a base composed of three stone lions sits in the middle of the room. Atop the altar are three large silver chalices, each containing a different colored liquid -- clear, red, and milky in hue going from left to right. Fluttering about the altar are three small winged gremlins, all chirping excitedly. Every so often, one of them lands on the altar and takes a sip of the milky liquid.

Silvereye
Whispering to myself, I study the green-hilted dagger: Is it just a common dagger? I watch and listen to the two humans, and try to determine if it is merely two ruffians arguing over a bauble as an excuse to shed blood or not. If they spot me or begin to fight I reach for....

deimos3428
Silvereye:

You can't inspect the blade in great detail, but as they argue you note it has a hilt covered in green leather, and some small inlaid stones. The taller man seems to be attempting to sell it to the shorter man, claiming it is enchanted. It indeed looks like violence may ensue at any moment, but you don't think they've spotted you.

lucyjoyce
"Let's go in!" Palestine pulls on Orren's hand. "If we get caught we can say we are worshippers of... well, whatever the heck this temple is for the worship of. Or pretend we thought it was a shrine to St. Cuthbert and that we wanted to say a prayer for the success of our proposed alliance."

Silvereye
Though I'm tempted to talk with the two ruffians and uncover some information, a fight at this point would be unwise. Leaving them to their argument, I decide to return to Palestine and Orren. I withdraw quietly, and using the shadows as cover I move towards the monument.

deimos3428
 Silvereye wrote:
Though I'm tempted to talk with the two ruffians and uncover some information, a fight at this point would be unwise. Leaving them to their argument, I decide to return to Palestine and Orren. I withdraw quietly, and using the shadows as cover I move towards the monument.    


Ok, you back away carefully leaving them to their argument and head for the monument. We'll give the others a chance to discuss/take action.

Avurax
Energized by Palestine's enthusiasm, Orren slips through the doorway. Still trying to be as quiet as possible, I make my way toward the alter. Do I notice the gremlins sipping from the other two (non-milky) chalices?

lucyjoyce
As Orren moves toward the altar, Palestine eyes the gremlins trying to determine if they, like Yats the imp, can see Orren and herself. If they appear to be oblivious, she follows Orren’s lead and quietly approaches the altar to examine the carvings – anything she recognizes? And the lions… just how real do they look?

deimos3428
Orren and Palestine:Orren attempts to be quiet and slip in the door...but unfortunately, it creaks loudly on it's hinges and startles the devilish creatures. They whirl around, very excited, then fluttering and squeaking they zip right past you into the night! You now appear to be alone in the small chamber.

The lion statues do not look at all real, but you note there are in fact four of them, one for each compass point. You did not observe the creatures drinking any liquid other than the milky one (rightmost chalice).

Silvereye:
As you make your way towards the monument, hoping to regroup with your party, you note several dark shapes fly off up into the night from the direction of the monument. You also hear a faint whistling coming from the north, which rapidly gets louder and louder -- until a strong gust of wind hits you with such a force that you can barely move against it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »
Silvereye
Was the whistling natural (the natural sound a severe gust would make if ushering from some unseen crevasse)? Is the wind natural? Is it just the one gust? Does the wind come from the direction of the monument? Do I have a premonition of danger? Do my shadows still surround me? Can I see or hear anything? How far is the monument?
I curse at myself for stupidly going off alone. If the wind continues unabated, I grit my teeth, hold my cloak tightly about me, and make for the monument or the closet shelter I can find.

Avurax
"Um, whoops." "Palestine, can you see where the creatures are headed?"

Orren has another strange flashback of a magical light device and then sees it smashed to bits by a big, dumb orc. He snaps out of his waking dream and moves toward the alter looking for any other obvious features in the room.

Do the lions appear to be similarly done or are each of them distinct? Please describe the chalices. Do we still see only three? What are they made of? How big are they? Do they look like they can be removed from the alter? Any markings on them?

How about the liquids, do they have any odor? Do the liquids look recognizable upon closer inspection?

Hides from the lemur's wrath for the number of questions Silvereye and Avurax combined to ask.

deimos3428
Unfortunately, Palestine cannot which way the gremlins flew...beyond to tell you that it was out the door, then mostly up out of view. As Orren struggles with sanity, you both look about the room again.

The lions look more or less identical, fairly stylized, with pursed lips as if whistling. They might be leopards, you're not really sure -- but they don't have manes. They form the legs of the stone altar. The top is a flat piece of stone, upon which the three broad silver chalices sit. They are quite large and shallow, perhaps 18 inches across. You presume they might be removed, as they are made of different material than the altar and you see no apparent fasteners. The room is illuminated by many large yellow-white candles.

The liquids look more-or-less the consistency of water, but of the hues mentioned above. The milky liquid might well be milk. None have a particularly strong odor. (I forget if anyone present has the Keen Smelling knack...I thought someone might...if so let me know and I'll try to elaborate.)

deimos3428
Silvereye cannot tell if the wind is natural or not, but it certainly seems associated with the vast amount of wind you're currently experiencing, which seems to have come out of nowhere. Shielded in the courtyard, there was barely a detectable breeze only moments before. You try to peer about for a better look, but find yourself reflexively shielding your sensitive eyes from the wind and fine bits of debris it kicks up. Your activation is still present.

The prevailing winds are from the northwest; the monument is due west. The monument is perhaps a half-minute's walk away, much less if you could run...but you are finding staying on your feet extremely challenging as you're buffeted about. And yes...your spider sense is tingling -- something relatively hostile is coming towards you from the northwest.

Just as the LM gets to the end of your turn and leaves you with a cliffhanger (duh duh DUH!), your ears pick up a feminine voice singing in a elongated, quiet whisper.
"You....spin...me...right...round..baby...."

Avurax
"Palestine, we might want to close the door".

If it looks like it will support him and isn't to high up, Orren will jump onto the alter to gain a bird's eye view of the room and more specifically the chalices. Cupping his hands together, he dips them into the milky hued liquid and fills them. When full, he then turns facing away from the chalice. Orren then moves his hands apart allowing the liquid fall on the altar. Looking back at the bowl, does it seem to refill or is the level of the liquid reduced?

Wiping his hands on his trousers, Orren sticks one finger into the red liquid. Does it have the same consistency as the milky liquid or is it thicker/thinner? If nothing has happened yet and he is reasonably certain the red liquid isn’t blood or some toxin, he touches his finger to his tongue.

deimos3428
Orren clambers onto the altar, gaining more or less a gremlin's eye view of the small room. Your feet nearly knock the chalices about -- there's not a lot of spare room up here. Cupping your hands full of milky liquid, you splash it about. The chalice and its contents respond more or less as you'd expect it to react...nothing evidently abnormal happens. (The liquid is a little bit sticky, but not overly so.)

The red liquid has a similar consistency, and nothing at all happens when you touch it, so you give it a taste. At first, nothing happens. You're about to continue your careful experimentation when you see the happy little elves dancing a jig with the cackling fluffy lemurs explode into a rainbow of colors and the banana purple elephant cashews mutter to beware the Ganges. So naturally, you yell "Scimitar!" at the rhino-man as you continue to hallucinate about the wino dark elf with the ever-changing sword...

...and that's about when you keel over. As Palestine looks on you tumble from the altar, apparently having some sort of a seizure and babbling incoherently. It's about a four-foot drop but you're making no attempt to catch yourself, being essentially unconscious.

(I forgot to mention, it tasted like grape.)

lucyjoyce
"Scimitar? What the ..." Palestine stops in mid-sentence as she sees Orren fall. Rushing forward, she tries to break his fall. After he either hits or is lowered to the ground, she checks him for injury.

Quickly, she crosses to the door, closing it. She returns to Orren's side.

"Orren, damnit! Wake up!" If he comes to, she helps him to his feet. If he doesn't, she dips a finger into the clear liquid and tastes, hoping it might be an antidote...

deimos3428
Palestine successfully catches Orren before he does a faceplant on the stone floor, setting him down gently.

He's physically uninjured but apparently in a comatose state, his eyes fluttering back in forth rapidly under now-closed lids. You shut the door and return to him. He doesn't come to, so you give the clear liquid a try. It tastes absolutely putrid, and changes to a red-brown color after a moment. Indeed, it appears to be some sort of dirty or muddy water.

deimos3428
Silvereye gets some minor relief from the breezy onslaught, and looks up in time to see a most peculiar creature facing him. It appears to be a small whirlwind, about the height of a tall man, but within the swirling tempest you see a beautiful feminine face, which seems to smirk at you with contempt. The hood of your cloak is suddenly blown back from your face, and the force of the blast nearly knocks you over. She mouths words at you, but it takes a few seconds before they reach your ears, howling like the wind itself.

"Whooooo.....are....youuuuuu???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
Silvereye
("Please allow me to introduce myself, a silver-eyed wylf with scarred face. I've been around for a short, short time, done many a thing in haste. I was round when Yatsraf Ya'wa had his moment of pride and lies, made damn sure that I listened, so I can kill Balthus when it's time. Please to meet you. They call me Silvereye....")

I lock my eyes on hers wondering if that puzzled, blank look that has crossed many others' faces will occur.

In a rasping voice I answer, "No one. But others call me Silvereye. Will that suit?" I instinctively reach for the hood of my cloak, but feeling the scarf still covering my face stop. Not taking my eyes off her I ask, "And you are?"

deimos3428
Silvereye wrote:
("Please allow me to introduce myself, a silver-eyed wylf with scarred face. I've been around for a short, short time, done many a thing in haste. I was round when Yatsraf Ya'wa had his moment of pride and lies, made damn sure that I listened, so I can kill Balthus when it's time. Please to meet you. They call me Silvereye....")

I lock my eyes on hers wondering if that puzzled, blank look that has crossed many others' faces will occur.

In a rasping voice I answer, "No one. But others call me Silvereye. Will that suit?" I instinctively reach for the hood of my cloak, but feeling the scarf still covering my face stop. Not taking my eyes off her I ask, "And you are?"  
 


She studies you closely, spinning completely around you in an instant, before returning to bar you passage towards the monument.
"They...call...me...Gale...sometimes...but..."
She then meets your hardened gaze and seems to almost shiver, and appears to slow down her rotation. She is kicking up far less dust and wind, and looking far less menacing.
"I'm...really...Wendy."

lucyjoyce
"Pfft!" Spitting out the tiny drop of the formerly clear liquid as gracefully as possible, Palestine grimaces at the terrible taste.
"I sure hope that's not the antidote, for Orren's sake."
Turning to the milky liquid, she hesitates, then dips a finger in and puts it to her tongue. As she does so, she thinks of the temple's former occupants. Did they become gremlins because they ingested this? Uh oh...

deimos3428
The milky liquid tastes sweet. You take a sip and start to giggle -- for no reason at all! No wonder the little gremlins were enjoying it so much. It is very refreshing. You're considering administering some to your fallen comrade, (and may do so if you wish) when he groans and awakens of his own accord. Orren is still rather disoriented and has a terrible headache, but he's coming around. You try to tell Palestine of the very vivid dreams you just experienced, but they seem to slip away just as your mind reaches for them.

Avurax
"I guess I fell on my head?” Orren mutters, trying to stand. “Sorry for the scare Palestine. I had the most bizarre and vivid waking dream but the memory is already getting hazy. Something about elephants, monkeys and rhinos. Plus a dark elf ranger dual wielding scimitars or something."

"Did you bring me back? I wonder if the other liquids pack the same punch.” If Palestine describes the milky liquid, Orren will try one cupped handful to see if it relieves the pounding in his head.

lucyjoyce
"Well, the milky liquid is pretty nice - kind of laughy, if you know what I mean. Although I only had a sip. I'd stay away from the third liquid. I tasted a drop and it was really awful." Palestine considers Orren. "I didn't bring you back - just cushioned your fall a bit. You ok?"

deimos3428
Oh dear, this is gonna get interesting.
----------------------
Orren cups his hand and drinks down the milky liquid, and immediately starts howling with laughter. This feels good! It becomes evident fairly quickly that that was a heavy overdose of happy juice.

He is instantly feeling no pain at all -- in fact, he's feeling better than he's ever felt in his life. You're probably invincible, let's go find out! No pain, no fear, and unfortunately -- no real mental filter whatsoever. He experiences nothing but enthusiastic and generally happy feelings towards everyone and everything, and acts completely impulsively. Seeing her concern, he jumps up and plants a big wet one on Palestine, shouting "Ok? I'm better than ok! Wooohooo! I'm king of the world, baby!!! Yeaaaahhh!!! Wooooh!!!"

(Avurax: For roleplaying purposes, think "Scrooge at the end of 'A Christmas Carol' happy" + "college student after about a half-gallon of rum". You're completely and uncontrollably exuberant, though not at all uncoordinated. Nothing is putting you in a bad mood or making you the least bit uncomfortable. It's the ultimate high. Mechanically speaking, you're at +20 on every Base Rating and Ability (+5 Speed), until the effect wears off. Consider your innate curiosity multiplied tenfold as well.)

Silvereye
 deimos3428 wrote:
She studies you closely, spinning completely around you in an instant, before returning to bar you passage towards the monument.
"They...call...me...Gale...sometimes...but..."
She then meets your hardened gaze and seems to almost shiver, and appears to slow down her rotation. She is kicking up far less dust and wind, and looking far less menacing.
"I'm...really...Wendy."  

   


With a sigh, I whisper, " It seems we both have true names...."

I keep my silver eyes upon her and ask, "May I call you Wendy?"

I wait for a reply, and then calmly ask, "Why are you here Wendy? Curiosity, or have you come to kill me?" I run a hand through my silver hair, check the knot that holds the black-blue scarf over my face, and watch her reaction.

deimos3428
"It...does...not..matter...what...yoooooou...call...me...as...long...as...yooooou...call...me"

It seems you've taken her breath away by flashing your baby silvers at her. She winks, and you get the idea she's flirting with you. She revs up excitedly at your suggestion of violence, sending a gust of wind towards your feet. You barely maintain your balance against the focused blast.

"I...came...toooo...torment...yooooou...but...it...seems...yooooou...like...it...rough..."

She giggles with playful glee and another blast strikes you, catching you off-center. You lose your footing and stumble onto one knee. As you attempt to regain your footing, she blasts you again, but you prevail and rise shakily to your feet. She seems to revel in your frustration.

"Ooooooh...sooooo...strong...I...doooo...believe...I...may...keep...yoooou...after...all...Silvereye."

Avurax
With my senses dialed up to 11, I need to experience what "absolutely putrid" is like. I cup my hand into the clear liquid and take a very small gulp.

After I gag, hurl or pick myself up off the floor, I try dipping my right index finger in the milky liquid, right pinky finger in the clear liquid and left index finger into the red liquid. I then lick the milky liquid, followed immediately by the clear followed by the red.

If I survive the above, is there anything else of interest in the area? Writing or pictures on the wall? Stairs, doors, or other passages other than the way we came in?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
deimos3428
Well, this is a decidedly mixed experience.


   
Avurax wrote:
With my senses dialed up to 11, I need to experience what "absolutely putrid" is like. I cup my hand into the clear liquid and take a very small gulp.  
 


The clear liquid is no longer clear, but muddy brown. Absolutely putrid isn't all that bad. It frankly tastes like bat shit, perhaps gremlin shit, but they have biological needs too. Can't really fault the little guys. It's nothing a superhero like you can't handle, anyway -- probably an acquired taste, that's all.


   
 Quote:
I try dipping my right index finger in the milky liquid, right pinky finger in the clear liquid and left index finger into the red liquid. I then lick the milky liquid, followed immediately by the clear followed by the red.  
 


The milky liquid has little if any effect on your already massive buzz. The clear (muddy brown) liquid is as putrid as before, and still very much an acquired taste that you haven't acquired. The red liquid threatens to take your buzz away, man. Harsh! But you don't keel over or experience any other noticeable side-effects.


   
 Quote:
If I survive the above, is there anything else of interest in the area? Writing or pictures on the wall? Stairs, doors, or other passages other than the way we came in?  
 


When you're this stoned, everything is of interest in the area! But no, nothing so wonderful as a painting or secret message. It's a very small shrine, and there is no way out but the way you came in. Sounds really windy outside!

Silvereye
 deimos3428 wrote:
"It...does...not..matter...what...yoooooou...call...me...as...long...as...yooooou...call...me"

It seems you've taken her breath away by flashing your baby silvers at her. She winks, and you get the idea she's flirting with you. She revs up excitedly at your suggestion of violence, sending a gust of wind towards your feet. You barely maintain your balance against the focused blast.

"I...came...toooo...torment...yooooou...but...it...seems...yooooou...like...it...rough..."

She giggles with playful glee and another blast strikes you, catching you off-center. You lose your footing and stumble onto one knee. As you attempt to regain your footing, she blasts you again, but you prevail and rise shakily to your feet. She seems to revel in your frustration.

"Ooooooh...sooooo...strong...I...doooo...believe...I...may...keep...yoooou...after...all...Silvereye."  
 



Keeping my voice still calm and steady I ask, "Wendy, why do you want to torment me?" Each time she knocks me down I'll get back to my feet, and keep my eyes locked on hers.

(Am I badly hurt, or is she merely "playing" with me?)

Why does Avur get to get drunk and happy, while I have the snot kicked outta me?

lucyjoyce
Palestine watches Orren’s exuberance with a mixture of amusement and dismay. “And I thought the Kobold was rash!” She crouches down to look at the lions. Do they all look alike? How about the chalices? Except for the contents, are they identical? And that muddy brown liquid… does it show any signs of regaining its clarity?

Looking up, she scans the ceiling, and then looks at the candles illuminating the space. Are they all lit?

“Orren, does it sound windy outside to you? Wonder what’s going on out there…”

Avurax
"Let's go check on the weather, Palestine". Orren throws open the door and heads back into the courtyard. What wondrous things do mine eyes see?

deimos3428
lucyjoyce wrote:
She crouches down to look at the lions. Do they all look alike? How about the chalices? Except for the contents, are they identical? And that muddy brown liquid… does it show any signs of regaining its clarity?  
 


The lions are not 100% identical, but they are reasonable facsimiles of each other, likewise with the chalices. Palestine is quite certain they aren't valuable -- they are a cheap layer of silver plate covering some lesser metal. You know real silver when you see it! The muddy brown liquid is still muddied, and is showing no signs of clearing.


   
 Quote:
Looking up, she scans the ceiling, and then looks at the candles illuminating the space. Are they all lit?  
 

Most of the candles are lit, a few are not. The ceiling has a couple of small holes at the top for ventilation, but is otherwise bare.

deimos3428
 Silvereye wrote:
Keeping my voice still calm and steady I ask, "Wendy, why do you want to torment me?" Each time she knocks me down I'll get back to my feet, and keep my eyes locked on hers.  
 


The whirlwoman lets out a little cackle of glee. She's definitely playing with you, but it still bruises a bit..
"Hey...now...don't...be...like...that. I...don't...like...it...when...things...are...calm....it...makes...me...happy...when...people...get..........blustery...."
She smiles at you and hesitates for a moment, then seems to look over her shoulder -- if indeed a spinning top has a shoulder.
"Handsome...I...have...to...jet....but..............."
You feel the vortex wrap around you suddenly and squeeze, lifting you off the ground several feet. You resist the urge to panic and soon realize she's merely embracing you. She sets you back down and rapidly dissolves in front of your eyes, and you see a small wooden whistle fall to the ground next to your feet. The last words you hear are a whisper:
".....call...me...sometime..."

deimos3428
Orren, you look out the door just in time to see....

...Silvereye winking back into view, looking at something on the ground. (He notices you as well.)

Avurax
"SILVEREYE, YOU MUST TRY THIS FABULOUS LIQUID" Orren yells to his old friend. Orren scans the area to see if there is any other place of special interest other than the front door. If Silvereye approaches, Orren asks about what he found.

deimos3428
Avurax:
Silvereye is probably the most interesting thing at the moment, about 50 feet to the west-southwest! He's got a fascinating gleam in his eye, as if something amazing has happened! There is also the main gates to the tower, about 50 feet immediately to your left (north)! They're shut tight! Behind you and slightly to the south is a large campfire, about 70 feet away! You smell something roasting!!! (Oh heck, this is getting silly...just assume an exclamation point follows all of my sentences.) You live in very exciting times!!!

Silvereye:
Silvereye sees Avurax at the entrance to the monument, some 50 feet to the east-northeast. He looks really puffed up for some reason, and he's bellowing across the courtyard at you to try out some sort of draught -- and probably attracting lots of attention. Just at that moment, your shadowy activation expires.

Palestine:
In all of the drug-induced commotion neither you nor Avurax had noticed your invisibility effects wearing off...but you now note that you no longer have any shimmering effect about you. Avurax seems to be shouting at someone across the courtyard (presumably Silvereye), but you are still within the shrine investigating and can't see for sure.

Silvereye
I pick up the wooden whistle and place it in my pouch.

Hearing Orren's bizarre call, I place one finger across my mouth to indicate silence, and rush to him, "Quiet, Orren. I'll tell you what I found in a moment." Noticing my concealing shadows have dissipated, I grab Orren under the arm and move towards the monument's doors and inside. I close the doors till they're almost shut, draw my hood to conceal my silver hair, and look at Palestine, "So much for the element of surprise, what's happened?"


Deimos, you called Orren, Avurax. So do I see a chubby ilf? Can I have a drink yet? Okay, a real question: Do the monument's doors open to the north or the west? Is the main tower to the south opposite the main gate?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:18 AM »
deimos3428
Silvereye wrote:
Do the monument's doors open to the north or the west? Is the main tower to the south opposite the main gate?

Ok, you rush back inside and hole up. The doors open to the east. The tower is north of your position; the main gates due south. You're all wondering what's keeping Vrepix...he probably should have made an appearance by now.

Avurax
"Where is Vrepix? I hope the little bugger hasn't really changed sides." "Ohh, he has the magic dirt bag we need to defeat the sorcerer; not good. Hopefully, the vile imp was exaggerating about the value of the bag's contents. Probably wouldn't hurt to collect some dust or dirt as a replacement." Orren scurries about the room, looking for dust or dirt to place in one of his belt pouches.

"We should probably have a quick look around to see if the kobold turns up. Regardless, we will eventually need to head to the tower." "Did you see either a trio of gremlins fly away or a dark elf with a scimitar, Silvereye? Apparently they were locked in this area and escaped when we entered."

lucyjoyce
“I’m pretty sure the dark elf with the scimitar was only in Orren’s mind,” Palestine explains to Silvereye. “But the gremlins were real. They were flying about in here sipping at that milky liquid in the chalice. Orren kind of overdosed on the stuff, so he’s feeling a bit, um… happy.”

“The gremlins flew off because we left the door open when we came in. Oh, and watch out for the red stuff – Orren tried that and passed out cold for a few minutes.” She lowers her voice to a whisper, still speaking to Silvereye. “That’s when he thought he saw the dark elf and a few other strange things as well. He couldn’t remember very well after he came to. Oh, and that muddy-looking stuff was clear until we touched it. I tried a small taste and it is awful.”

“What do you think would happen if we lit all the candles in here?”

Avurax
"Mood lighting; great idea Palestine." After collecting some dirt and dust, Orren sets upon trying to light candles.

Silvereye
"Palestine, I'm not sure..." I follow Orren as he searches for dirt and begins lighting candles, “It seems we will know soon enough." Whispering to Palestine, “I saw the gremlins fly out, and then met... an air elemental. She gave me a whistle: a call for aid, I think." Keeping my eyes on Orren, I continue, "Orren seems highly suggestive, perhaps we could focus his energies? We need to find the bag Yats gave us, and enter the tower."

I scan the chamber; do my senses reveal any details Palestine or Orren missed?

deimos3428
Gathering some black sooty dust is rather easy, with all the candles and smoke about. Where will you put it? Orren goes about lighting the rest of the candles, merrily ensuring a nice symmetric pattern in their heights as well. It looks fantastic, but nothing happens -- other than the beautiful flickering light, of course. Silvereye does not detect anything of particular note beyond what's already been described. But the candles look lovely.

Avurax
"Shall we search for Vreprix? I can try casting some additional invisibility enchantments if you would like. But it seems to me that we were freely given passage to this keep so I am not certain it is absolutely necessary."

lucyjoyce
“Well, I don’t think Vrepix has made it into the tower. I think I remember seeing him going off to the left before we headed over here. Let’s take a stroll around the courtyard and see if he’s around. ” She looks at Orren. “A quiet stroll, Orren. Let’s see who can be the quietest.” Glancing at the wylf, she laughs to herself. “Think I know who’ll win that one.”

“Nice job with the candles, Orren. Do you have anything to put that dirt in?”

Silvereye
I nod to Palestine: a silent acknowledgment of her sound and subtle suggestion. I approach the chalices, "Perhaps we should empty these. If they feed the Imps and their ilk, why not deprive them of their sustenance?" I look to Orren and Palestine for confirmation. "Vrepix must be close. We should move cautiously given my recent...meeting. The gates in the south are shut, the tower lies north, I attempted to explore the east, so I suggest we look west. I will scout the way if you wish."

I check my equipment to make sure that my encounter with Wendy did not jar anything loose. Once I'm sure everything is in its place and properly muffled, I wait for my companions' reply.

I just read the courtyard description on the other thread, d'oh! Um, so we'll look south-west if everyone agrees.

Avurax
"The gremlins are gone. I don't see any reason to defile this apparent temple." Orren slips back to the milky liquid and takes another small sip. "One for the road won't hurt, I'm not driving."

"Ok, let’s find Vrepix. Should I try to conceal Palestine and I? I should have enough power to conceal you as well old friend but I know you have your own formidable extraordinary abilities".

"While I promised Palestine that I would do my best to be quiet, it is probably best we avoid anyone else. I am feeling especially chatty this evening. It is probably just the thrill of this adventure so far."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Silvereye
"Orren, my thanks. I can use the shadows again for a short time. Best we save your strength for later." Looking at the chalices, "The liquid is foul, and may help the Tower's watchers. Palestine what do you think?"

lucyjoyce
"Hmmmm. Do we have anything we can decant the various liquids into? I hate to just pour the stuff on the ground, or on the altar, or see if the lions want a sip... but yes, I agree with Silvereye that we should take it. I also wonder what might happen if we mixed any of them. But don't know that we have time for the luxury of a chemistry experiment. My brother accidentally caused a small explosion doing that once." Suddenly she takes a closer look at the chalices. "But there may be possibilities..."

Avurax
"Let’s leave the chalices alone" Orren says with uncharacteristic 'tone' in his inflection. "We should probably get a move on" the Enchanter states, regaining his composure. "My lady, do you think invisibility would help us?" If Palestine believes invisibility to be a good idea, I will Enchant us both. If she doesn't think it is necessary, I won't cast it on myself either.

lucyjoyce[/u]
With a last look at the chalices, Palestine turns her attention to Orren. " I know little of the strength that casting invisibility will cost you. It was very liberating and comforting to be invisible. But I am unwilling to weaken you to shore up my own confidence. This courtyard does seem to be fairly unintimidating. Perhaps we should save such luxuries for a time when we are in need."

She straightens, adjusting her pack. "Let's go."

Silvereye
Realizing Orren must be back to his old self, I briefly tell them about the two ruffians quarreling over the dagger, "Nev-R-Miss," and my encounter with Wendy. I hate leaving the chalices as they stand, yet....

With a soft laugh I utter, "I'll go first. Vrepix's scent should be easy enough to track."

I make my way to the door and slip outside. Once we're ready, I close the monument's door, and scan the courtyard and the sky above.

Staying just ahead of my companions, I head west. Expecting the worst, I study every feature, listen for any noise, and try to get a whiff of sausage-stuffed kobold.

deimos3428
Ok, having finally resolved on a course of action you slip outside cautiously, with Silvereye scouting ahead to the west.

His keen senses cannot detect the kobold's signature scent, as they are overpowered by the smell of roasting meat coming from the direction of the nearby campfire. You hear a slight gurgle, and wonder if it might be the stomach of a hungry companion. But then you hear it again, slightly louder.

Silvereye wheels about looking as though he is preparing for an assault, his eyes darting back and forth warily, but cannot see anything approaching. Suddenly, he jumps backwards as the ground beneath him shudders! A gigantic purple tentacle covered in warty growths bursts from the earth, attempting to wrap itself around his torso.

Avurax
If Silvereye is free, I say that we need back away from this monstrosity. If he is held fast, I begin casting an enchantment (Weapon Wizard-Very Minimal) and then draw my weapon.

Silvereye
If I am free, I somersault backwards beyond the tentacle's reach. If I am caught....

lucyjoyce
If Silvereye is caught, Palestine draws her long sword and attempts to sever the tentacle. If he is not caught, she moves quickly away with the party.

deimos3428
We are in our very first true "initiative situation", then. Silvereye is not yet caught, but clearly the tentacle's intended action this ABC is to catch him. Based on your posts, I have it like this:

Tentacle is attempting to grasp Silvereye.
Silvereye is attempting to somersault backwards.
Palestine is attempting to move quickly away from the tentacle.
Orren is attempting to back away.

I'm emphasizing the "attempting" because it's not clear who will win the initiative yet. Please remember to state your actions in terms of what you want to attempt to do, as there are no contingencies/conditionals within an ABC -- in short, no opportunity to change your action mid-round. Do note that drawing weapons does not take any considerable time and can be assumed unless they are in very inconvenient locations for some reason.

I'll roll the dice a little later today, please plan ahead and be ready for your next actions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

lucyjoyce

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
deimos3428
Orren backs away with a speed that renders him into a blur, well out of reach of the tentacle some 25 feet away -- all while walking backwards. You're not sure you could see him if he ran. Quite impressively, Silvereye quickly somersaults to freedom, keeping low from the whipping tendril as it attempts to grasp him. It flails about wildly above him as he retreats to relative safety, about 12 feet distant. Palestine takes advantage of the fact the tentacle is distracted and runs for it, managing to get some 12 feet away with her heavy armor. As the tentacle is about 10' in length, Silvereye and Palestine are now "on the edge" of the creatures reach.

Avurax
"Whew, that was close. Let's stay clear of this thing. I believe we will want to stay well out of range of this horror and continue on carefully to the last known whereabouts of Vreprix"

Does this thing look like it is attached to a creature? Is it poking up from the ground? Any more details would be great.

lucyjoyce
“Well, guess I’m not quite as light on my feet as you gentlemen.” Palestine says as she sees both the speed and agility of her companions’ retreat. She circles around toward the west, preparing to continue in that direction as they search for the kobold. Keeping an eye on the waving tentacle and warily watching for new eruptions from the ground, she joins Orren and waits for Silvereye.

“Think somebody here doesn’t like us?”

deimos3428
Avurax wrote:
"Whew, that was close. Let's stay clear of this thing. I believe we will want to stay well out of range of this horror and continue on carefully to the last known whereabouts of Vreprix"

Does this thing look like it is attached to a creature? Is it poking up from the ground? Any more details would be great.

      

Actually, Orren believes he may know a bit about this creature.

Years ago in college, you were fascinated by a library tome detailing the lejendary Krobchac. While not much is known of the earth squid, this other-dimensional dodecapod is said to burrow underground like a worm, striking upwards and entangling its prey before dragging it through the earth to its maw. While no live specimens have ever been confirmed, the mighty twelve-armed horror is the inspiration for a very powerful activation known as the "Tentacle of Krobchac". The tentacle is quite a bit smaller than the tome stated, suggesting that you might well be staring at the business end of a juvenile Krobchac!

(I'll assume that Palestine and Silvereye take a couple more steps backward, at least. The tentacle is a bit -- stretchy.)

Vrepix was last known to be heading northwest from the gate, or south-southwest of your current position -- bee-lining it towards the campfire.

Silvereye
"Close indeed, Orren," I whisper.

Moving well out of the tentacle's reach, I nod in the direction of the campfire, "Shall we skirt this thing and continue?" I pause, "We should have been more...careful, " and quickly summon the shadows to hide my movement.

I will take the lead again, relying on my enhanced senses to pick a safe path and find Vrepix (unless Palestine and Orren stop me). Before we reach the campfire, I'll study the area noting any peculiarities.

Avurax
Orren follows in the general direction of Silvereye, about twenty feet back and slightly off to one side; scanning for anything of special interest. Do we see more than one campfire or any figures by the fire(s)?

Avurax needs a map.

lucyjoyce
Palestine flanks Silvereye on the side opposite Orren, thinking to herself what a nifty triangle they make. She keeps looking cautiously at the ground beneath their feet, wondering if that thing will make a reappearance. She moves as quietly as she can, noting that Silvereye is barely visible.

deimos3428
(Evening LJ, just snuck that post in above mine)

Silvereye scouts ahead once more, but he notes nothing further so you continue onwards. As you approach the campfire, you see a motley crew sitting around it.

A warty-faced Orc is handing out scraggy chunks of half-cooked meat to the others. A snarling dwarf with greenish skin is complaining bitterly about the size of his piece, while two scruffy red-hued goblins squabble over another, scrunching up their demonic-looking visages. On a large spit hangs the remains of some poor beast, the torso perhaps the size of a smallish pig. In front of the dwarf is a small open box, with what looks to be a glass vial inside. The orc seems to have spotted you, and stares unblinkingly in your direction. This soon draws the others' gaze toward your group, but they seem fit to wait for you to make the first move. The two goblins note your presence but momentarily before returning to their squabble as the dwarf and orc eye you suspiciously.

Avurax
"Well met. It certainly is a nice night to spend out under the stars, don't you think?" Orren asks as he approaches. "So, what is the story with those gate guards, Tigris the goriger and Euphrates the tigorilla" Orren snickers. "And you thought wylfs were ugly. Did some sorcerer do that to them?" Orren tries not to stare directly at the glass vial but steals more than a couple of glances toward the box while speaking. “We were supposed to meet a kobold this evening but can’t seem to locate him. You haven’t noticed a shaggy creature with a saucy tongue that answers to Vreprix have you?”

Hopefully the motley crew will begin to relax and talk to Orren. If so, he asks if they noticed any of the creatures our group has encountered this evening: the gremlins, scimitar wielding dark elf, wind creature or tentacle creature.

deimos3428
Avurax wrote:
"Well met. It certainly is a nice night to spend out under the stars, don't you think?" Orren asks as he approaches. "So, what is the story with those gate guards, Tigris the goriger and Euphrates the tigorilla" Orren snickers. "And you thought wylfs were ugly. Did some sorcerer do that to them?" Orren tries not to stare directly at the glass vial but steals more than a couple of glances toward the box while speaking.


      

The Orc seems a bit taken aback by your demeanor and just stares at you, but the green-skinned dwarf responds. You sneak a quick peek at the vial and realize it's padded in the box by some black cloth wrapped about it.

"Yeah, heh. Them's ugly alright, but they do their job. Watch what you say about Yoof, he's a crafty one an' has got eyes everywhere. If you piss 'im off, he won't give ya the tower password and you'll never get in. They change it every night, too."

<to the Orc> "Look here, this is too small, it ain't fair. I'm doing all the talking and I'm halfway done here...gimme another chunk already." The orc satisfies his demand grudgingly, hacking another bit off the carcass with his cleaver without taking his eyes off your group.
      
   
Quote:
“We were supposed to meet a kobold this evening but can’t seem to locate him. You haven’t noticed a shaggy creature with a saucy tongue that answers to Vreprix have you?”


      

The dwarf then turns back to you at the mention of the kobold, uttering the next sentence while trying to keep a straight face.

"Yeah, heh. We saw just such a bloke not an hour back, but he didn't say a word. The guy looked really down, like he'd lost his way. We tried to help him out but then he just kept hissing at us with fire in his eyes. Don't worry, I'm sure he'll turn up soon. Can't imagine what's eatin' him, eh boys?" The dwarf gets a wicked grin about his face, and hooks a greasy thumb in the direction of the goblins as they all suppress laughter.

<to the Goblins> "I thought you said it was too dry, you little buggers. This guy says it was saucy."

Your eyes go wide as you realize what's cushioning the vial -- it's Yatsraf's bag.

      
   
Quote:
Hopefully the motley crew will begin to relax and talk to Orren. If so, he asks if they noticed any of the creatures our group has encountered this evening: the gremlins, scimitar wielding dark elf, wind creature or tentacle creature.


      
I'll give you an opportunity at this point to reassess that bit, and decide if you want to question the dwarf further.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »