Author Topic: skill based fantasy game  (Read 129 times)

RainforestGiant

• View Profile
skill based fantasy game
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
Hi,

New to the forum been playing for 45 years. This appears to be very similar to a game I purchased twenty plus years ago but never got around to playing. I will be giving it a shot with my kids/grandkids soon. My players want to keep their setting/races (Rules Cyclopedia-ish).

Any tips? I notice that this is not the system that is 'getting the love' from you guys so I suspect it is a backburner project. Has anyone tried modifying the magic system. I immediately thought of bonuses for using rituals with longer spells needing more time, preparation, and perhaps participation. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks,
RG

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: skill based fantasy game
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
The second edition is completed in terms of writing.  I wanted to add a setting, then decided not to.  The main holdup now is getting the time for it to be edited and then doing a layout for it.  The plan was to release it awhile back and then within 6 months release another game I have been working on.  That was is still being written and has distracted me from releasing the 2nd edition. 

I can tell you that in the 2nd edition, the rituals were removed.  Not the spells, but the idea of the ritual.  I believed I needed to either add more and make it more descriptive, or simply turn them into spells.  I went more with simplicity for the 2nd edition and part of that was to turn them into spells. 

By bonuses, were you thinking that casting checks would have a bonus for them due to the time and preparation?  If so, then that makes sense.  The ritual spells were intended to be involved and not done during combat or stressful situations. 

The second edition makes that explicit.  Combat is no penalty.  Rested with no worries is +20.  Favorable conditions are +30.