Author Topic: GM Prompts: In/On a Desk  (Read 892 times)

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
GM Prompts: In/On a Desk
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »
Here's a list of prompts that I'm working on to help me when I'm working on an adventure for my campaign or I need to wing it.  This list is not exhaustive and is only bate ideas; the details still need to be fleshed out.

In/On a Desk
1. A stack of blank parchment.
2. A quill & ink.
3. Key (one or multiple on a ring).
4. Loose coins.
5. A map.
6. Crumpled up parchment.
7. Page ripped from a book.
8. Sealing wax & stamp.
9. Letter opener.
10. Reading glasses.
11. Candle.
12. Magnifying glass.
13. Measuring tape.
14. Wax-sealed parchment.
15. Personal journal.
16. A sketch of....
17. Charcoal stick.
18. Ink vials (empty or full).
19. A ring.
20. An open book.

It's still up to me to fill in the details whenever I use this list.  Is the item magical or of the everyday type?  Is it cheap or expensive?  Does it give hints?  What?

I know this has been done before but I came into my head and O just wanted to get it out.  I'm going to tighten it up a bit and put the info in a PDF with expanded notes.  Are there any glaring omissions?  Do you have anything similar? 
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GM Prompts: In/On a Desk
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
I never really thought about these.  Just having a list is helpful.  Do you have any other lists?

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Re: GM Prompts: In/On a Desk
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
I never really thought about these.  Just having a list is helpful.  Do you have any other lists?

I've actually got brainstorming notes on several lists and I'm working on fleshing them out.  I'm planning on adding reference footnotes to many of the entries that might list ideas like "what page is the book open to?", "what does the key unlock?", "the page ripped from the book has a magical recipe, new spell, etc.".
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.