Author Topic: How does Enchant Object work?  (Read 800 times)

johnse

• View Profile
How does Enchant Object work?
« on: September 03, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
We're just starting with SteamCraft and my players are asking about creating magical objects and I am not finding how the Enchant Object spell actually works.

Can you elaborate on how this works?

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How does Enchant Object work?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 11:15:04 PM »
As the game evolved, the amount of magic and magical power was toned down.  As part of that, the creation of magical items in the rules were mostly removed.  The idea was to make them adventure for magical items and to focus more on technology.  What you are seeing is a legacy spell that was primarily left in for alchemy. 

With that said, I can give you the basics.  I will start with alchemy and then show how you can move on to other items.  First, you make a check against alchemy to know what items are needed for the potion.  For example a flying spell might require helium, a rare feather, or other parts of birds.  Then some miscellaneous stuff.  That is all determined by the GM.  The ingredient check ideally should be made by the GM secretly. 

Once the potion is made, then a caster will cast enchant item.  That prepares the potion to receive the spell.  Then, the spell you want the potion is have is cast into the potion.  For flight, that would be a fly spell.  It takes one hour be grade of the spell, i.e. a IV spell will take 4 hours.  After than the potion is usable, however a check to see if the spell took isnít made until the potion is used.  Or the GM could made a roll in secret and note it. 

The same method can be used for limited use items.  A roll against arcanum would be used to note what type of material might be needed.  Then, the enchant item spell is cast on it.  Then the spell that you want the item to have.  For multiple uses, you will cast more than one spell.  So, if you wanted three uses in boots of flying, then you will cast fly three times. 

For the creation of permanent use powerful magical items then you need to look at the Combine Energy spell.  A roll against arcanum is made to determine the parts.  Those then need to be assembled, in so far as possible.  So, lets say you wanted to make an amulet of spider climbing.  You would likely need expensive metals, maybe some gems, and certainly the part of the spider the produces silk.  Forging would be used to make the item, although some parts might not be able to be merged at the moment.  Then, you cast enchant object.  Then you can the spell you want.  Then you cast Combine Energy.  If you leave the item as the same grade as the spell, then it would be a grade III magic item.  The grade of the item times 5 gives a penalty.  In this case, it would be a 15 point penalty.  If the use of enchantment is successful, then the item is made.  If not, then the item is ruined and you must start over.  The GM will determine the limit of the power.  That is, if it usable once per day, every hour, all the time, etc.  The more times it is used, then the higher the grade of the item should be.   

johnse

• View Profile
Re: How does Enchant Object work?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Thank you. That helps a lot :)