Author Topic: (WIP) New Monster Stats - Humanoid  (Read 2362 times)

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
(WIP) New Monster Stats - Humanoid
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:27 PM »
This thread is reserved for the discussion of new monsters that would fall into the humanoid category.  This thread is considered a work in progress that will continue to be updated until the stats are "right".  Some possibilities include the following.

Kobolds resemble small dog-faced humanoids.
Minotaurs appear to be large, burly humans with the head of a bull.
Neanderthals are an evolutionary throwback from a more primitive age.
Sasquatches have the general appearance of some mixture of man and ape.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:31:23 AM by Semi-Retired Gamer »
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Re: (WIP) New Monster Stats - Humanoid
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:12:20 AM »
Minotaur

H: 60-70  A: 36–45  S: 40  AF: 6
Attack: weapon +4/1d8/1d6

Encountered: 1-4

Description: Minotaurs appear to be large humanoid creatures with the head of a bull.  They are typically around 7 feet tall with a thick, rugged build.  Rumors speak of Minotaurs living on a diet consisting of humans and other smaller humanoid races.  Minotaurs are somewhat intelligent and may use tools and weapons.

Comat: Minotaurs tend to charge their opponents in an attempt to gore them for 1d8 damage; when closed to grappling distance a Minotaur may bite for 1d6 damage.  Some Minotaurs prefer to use weapons such as spears, clubs, or axes and get a +4 bonus to damage when doing so.  Minotaurs tend to attack things smaller than their size.  Minotaurs may be wearing a ragtag mix of garments for armor in addition to their tough hide and have an effective armor factor of 6 points.

Treasure: C

----------
That's my first impression of the Minotaur.  Any input or suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:58:27 AM by Semi-Retired Gamer »
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
How humanoid versus giant do you want it to be?  Right now, the strength is close to A Goblin Warrior Warrior: H: 51-70 A: 53-65 S: 42-48 AF: 12.  An Orge has H: 110-121 A: 66-75 S: 45 AF: 10.

I would probably try to place the Minotaur in between these things and perhaps add some extra damage or effect to being gored. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
How humanoid versus giant do you want it to be?  Right now, the strength is close to A Goblin Warrior Warrior: H: 51-70 A: 53-65 S: 42-48 AF: 12.  An Orge has H: 110-121 A: 66-75 S: 45 AF: 10.

I would probably try to place the Minotaur in between these things and perhaps add some extra damage or effect to being gored.

Interesting.  I was going for third place when it comes to Ogre, Troll, and Minotaur. I have some wiggle room so I can definitely bump up health a tad bit.  I often mistake Agility for just stuff like gymnastics, sneaking, etc. but for PJ monster entries Agility is weapons ability so I will keep that in mind.  How does this look?

H: 65-80 A: 56-65  S: 40-45
Change gore to 1d12 (because it sounds like something "more heroic" to overcome) and, honestly, I'm terrible at coming up with special effects quickly. 
What do you think now?

I think that might be closer. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:42:56 PM by Semi-Retired Gamer »
----------------------
Charlie

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
That is probably closer to what it should be.  One thing to remember about damage, is pretty much all of the weapons do 1-20.  So, do you want the horns to do the same, or less than a weapon?  If it does less, then it probably needs an effect.  The mino would never use the horns in favor of a weapon if weapons are always better. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
Good advice. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward.  Off to decide whether to give the gore attack an effect (maybe stun opponent for a short time) or to increase the damage...
----------------------
Charlie