Author Topic: End of Part one recap  (Read 4099 times)

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
End of Part one recap
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:57:14 AM »
So in an attempt to get things moving along, here are the last two pages.  I hope it is easy enough to read.  

deimos3428     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Brand wrote:
Whilst Orren converses with Mal, I examine the room, and cast my eye over the locked door: how many slide-bolts secure the door?
You start counting slide-bolts, but it seems like for each one you enumerate, there are two more! You keep losing track after 127...suffice to say, there are an absolutely staggering amount of them! The man is watching you with interest, and seems pleased with himself -- some sort of prank, to be sure. You sense there something very odd about this place in general...but you can't quite put your finger on it.
Quote:
Does Mal look like Scrubbs, or is he a different race?

About the same dimensions, but definitely another race. While the brownies epitomize hard physical work and dull boring appearance, this man is sporting brilliant green, with golden trim, and is quite fascinating to behold. He's got a shock of red hair, and is also clearly skilled in the extraordinary.

If you were a betting man, you'd be putting all your chips on "Leprechaun" -- one of the strangest and individually most powerful humanoid races out there.

Brand     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:53 pm

As Mal reads, I whisper to Orren and Palestine. "I wonder if we're in the castle at all? What we see cannot be trusted...nothing can. Trickery, as I thought...."

Avurax     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:35 pm

“Our small group encountered Scrubbs in the courtyard and he said you were expecting us” Orren states while approaching the creature. “We are looking for the sorcerer Balthus. The best information that we have, including the word of the imp Yats Raf Yawa, is that he is in the tower. Can you give us any information about Balthus or where he might be? Any help would be appreciated.

Orren’s curiosity meter is about to explode. So many interesting people, things and events in here. He tries to steady himself but he begins talking even faster than usual. “My cautious friend here was injured by a nasty nis. Is there anyone or anything that could fix him up a bit? Also, you spoke the words ‘You’re late’. Were you talking to us? If so, what did you mean? Orren waves the "Panprobability for Dummies” book at Mal. “Interesting read. You wouldn’t have any extra copies I could have would you?”

lucyjoyce     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Hearing Silvereye's call, Palestine turns and sees the opening. She descends the stairs as quickly as she can, and enters the room. Seeing the apparently floating being, she crosses the room to stand next to Orren, her back to the wall and her eyes scanning the room.

deimos3428     Post subject: Tempus Fugit
 Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Palestine barely makes it through the passage before it collapses -- by Orren's measure it lasted only about one sixth of the duration it should have! Both Silvereye and Orren feel a rush of magical power, and are now at full AEP. You also notice that your non-permanent enchantments have worn off. (But not Grim Backguard as we determined it does not have a duration.)

The man turns to Orren and smiles. "Scrubbs is a good employee and a shrewd one at that. As it happens, he tells everyone he meets that I am expecting them, as a sort of defensive maneuver. It saves him from quite a lot of trouble as you might imagine. It just happens by chance to be true this time." He winks knowingly and continues, turning to address Silvereye.

"You are wiser than you know, for indeed you are no longer in the tower. This extradimensional place is my home, and you may find many things to which you are accustomed simply do not apply here. The Black Tower has been built around it, but the sorcerer and I have worked out an agreement of sorts. He and his ilk give me a wide berth, and I do not knock his tower over nor get involved in his affairs. So far, it has worked out well for all concerned."

Turning back to answer Orren's questions, he goes on:

"As you might imagine, I keep to myself and the sorcerer does the same. I have very little interest in his activities or the other foul creatures in the area. However, you will find that you have a refuge here, in time."

He seems to have meant that last bit literally. Even now you see Silvereye's wounds slowly healing before your eyes!

"You see, the proverbial march of time sprints a full twelve times faster inside this room. So as you might appreciate, you are very late from my perspective, as you fumbled about quite a bit on the way here. You may keep the book, Orren, I've already signed it for you on the back page. I hope you will find it useful."

"Ah, yes. Introductions are in order. As you have surmised, my name is Seamus O'Malley. I have already divined your names...but who are you? And have you any questions for me?"

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:00 am

Palestine steps forward with a quick nod of her head. “We are agents of King Radivax, sent here to put an end to Balthus’ plans of conquest. That is what we are doing. Having been blessed with a tolerant and encouraging family, I seek to protect them. That is who I am. My questions are many, but I’ll start with two. When we step back into the tower, how much time will have elapsed? If we remain here for one minute, will twelve minutes have passed there? One minute? No time at all? Also, I thank you for your offer of refuge here. If my friend here is not around to make a passage for me, how can I request entrance?”

deimos3428     Post subject:
 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 am

lucyjoyce wrote:
Palestine steps forward with a quick nod of her head. “We are agents of King Radivax, sent here to put an end to Balthus’ plans of conquest. That is what we are doing. Having been blessed with a tolerant and encouraging family, I seek to protect them. That is who I am. My questions are many, but I’ll start with two. When we step back into the tower, how much time will have elapsed? If we remain here for one minute, will twelve minutes have passed there? One minute? No time at all? Also, I thank you for your offer of refuge here. If my friend here is not around to make a passage for me, how can I request entrance?”

Seamus hovers closer to Palestine, leaning in close to analyze her face, also scrutinizing the area slightly around and beyond her. "Hmm, let's see. White and yellow, to be sure. Some blues reds and greens. And a touch more purple than I'd thought, most interesting!"

He looks directly at you in response, and you feel warmth, wisdom and sincerity in his voice. "Your answer is a good one, and it reveals more than your words. Compassion. Duty. Honor. Efficiency. Hope. Good qualities all. You must be careful not to define yourself by your quest, for that is not who you are. You have some pressing concerns, and sadly these cloud your mind with trivialities. I will answer these inquiries to put you at ease, but consider how unimportant they truly are."

"You asked first about time, though I am not sure you will be able to understand the intricacies of a proper answer. Suffice to say that if you spend an hour or two here, only an hour or two will have passed outside -- no more and no less. But you will feel as though it has been a day. You will grow tired and hungry in an hour or less, but you will also recover your injuries much faster."

"You asked second about your friend, and that is a simple matter. If your friend is not about, naturally you must rely upon yourself for a solution. But it is the same as with all things, is it not? The door will open, but only when both you and it are ready."

"But you did not understand my request. These are minor things; do let them fall from your mind if you can. These are not the right sort of questions, not at all. Let the others attempt to answer and ask, and then you may try again if you wish."

Avurax     Post subject: Re: Tempus Fugit
 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 am

I am an explorer searching for knowledge. My particular passion is the study of what masters such as you have called Enchantments. While this is my focus, I am not constrained to just the one topic. I am excited about making time to read your book, for example. Adventuring seemed the best way to obtain the most knowledge and actually experience this world. Academies are generally specialized and reflect the biases of the instructors. By roaming the lands, I can form my own opinions.

Palestine spoke of our mission. My question: Is attempting to remove Balthus from power in the name of King Radivax wise and just?

deimos3428 wrote:
You also notice that your non-permanent enchantments have worn off. (But not Grim Backguard as we determined it does not have a duration.)
"Did anyone else hear what sounded like a rabid primate gnashing its teeth?" Orren asks.

deimos3428     Post subject: Re: Tempus Fugit
 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:21 am

Avurax wrote:
I am an explorer searching for knowledge. My particular passion is the study of what masters such as you have called Enchantments. While this is my focus, I am not constrained to just the one topic. I am excited about making time to read your book, for example. Adventuring seemed the best way to obtain the most knowledge and actually experience this world. Academies are generally specialized and reflect the biases of the instructors. By roaming the lands, I can form my own opinions.

Palestine spoke of our mission. My question: Is attempting to remove Balthus from power in the name of King Radivax wise and just?

Seamus analyzes you in turn as well. "Rosy red, a little green, but no blue at all. Very nice."

"Another excellent response, Orren. Curiosity. Intelligence. Independence. Uncertainty. An interesting combination of the four elements! Do not fall into the same trap as your lady knight companion, however comforting it might be to share that space with a friend. You are not defined by your training or your knowledge."

"Like your friend, you cling to present circumstance. That is not the right question to ask, a minor consideration really. I will attempt an answer all the same, but you will have to find satisfaction in your own answer, I suspect. There is but one way to remove a sorcerer from power, and I know not whether it be just or not. It does not fall upon me to judge such things."

Looking expectantly, he adds:
"You have no truly burning questions, then? Perhaps after the wylf has spoken you may. Perhaps, we shall see."

Brand     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 pm

"A liar, a thief, a killer, a wanderer seeking vengeance. My path has been chosen, and I walk it willingly. Who I am is blurred with what I have, and will, become" I whisper.

“Why did you expect us? If you live…a step out of time… and knew of our coming, why didn’t the door open? For that matter, we could not have been late but arrived exactly when we should have…."

Taking a slow deep breath, I continue, "If you have divined our names, why do you question us now? Surely if you expected us, then this…audience….serves some purpose, does it not? Why speak with us, here, now, in this place?

I look at him and ask, “Why did you stand by while Joham was murdered?

deimos3428     Post subject: Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part One
 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 pm

O'Malley backflips about slowly in mid air, coming to face Silvereye. He seems completely unfazed and smiles at you.

"Dull greens have given way to firey orange and red, with black tendrils binding them tightly like a cage. I expected nothing less from you, Silvereye -- such is the aura of a tortured soul. But I am glad that that black has not yet decayed into neither the brown of resignation or the grey of indifference. A beautiful cyan core yet yearns to shines through."

"Your race has always been special, for many wylves are able to pull back the twin veils of space and time and gain the briefest of glimpses beyond. But you are capable of so much more, if you are willing. I must admit your response is disappointing. Not because of anything said, merely that you feel satified with it. No man's path is set -- strive to be more!"

"As for your questions, they too suffer greatly from the immediacy of the moment, but I shall try my best to provide you with some comfort before we go on. As you have no doubt surmised, among my talents is the ability to divine the future. I expected you because you were there to be expected. How else could I? Indeed I ensured your arrival, for here you needed to be."

"The next question is a false one, for the door did indeed open when you were ready to enter, as we have all seen. Your friend's spell merely proved that readiness."

He chuckles and adopts a serious tone, his feet resting on the table, and poking at your heart with a blue-tinged finger.

"Ah...purpose. Yes, there is certainly a greater purpose and that, finally, is a real question. I thought it would be you to crack into the heart of the matter, but you have much to learn, young wylf. We will get into that answer in a moment, for it is a very long one. The last bit explains itself, though. I speak with you precisely because you are here, now, and in this place!"

"As you are aware, I cannot influence the inhabitants of the tower. But, I seek to prepare you. For you are woefully unready to face the path that lies ahead! You are approaching a juncture -- a knot, if you will, in probability that will affect the rest of your life. Such junctures are nearly always surrounded by great conflict and suffering. Understand I am trying to help you, dear boy, for I know your opponents and they are a fearsome lot -- masters of illusion, every one.

If you cannot learn from our encounter, I must weep and fear for your safety. For indeed the only way you will survive them is by truly knowing yourself. So I hope you can see, I did not stand by after all. Foretelling Joham's death was the last straw, and...now you are here."

"Finally then, you begin to understand a little. We can begin anew. It has been made clear I trust, that you do not know yourselves. So, what would you like to know? I must admit I do know either, but perhaps we can find out if you would but ask. And Orren, well done. Keep reading and you may yet master the art."

Orren's eyes go wide, as he suddenly finds himself sitting in a largish plush armchair.

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:49 am

Startled, Palestine looks down at Orren in his newly acquired chair, then back at O’Malley. “Mr. O’Malley, you speak of purpose and preparation. You encourage us to look beyond the immediacy of our challenge, perhaps to see a larger picture, if you will. I am willing to open my mind to your guidance, indeed – I would be honored to do so. How shall I best prepare myself? The larger purpose, to me, is to make this world a better place. Please help me if you will.”
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: End of Part one recap
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
Thank you Darius.  I will try to get the next post up soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »