Author Topic: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Two  (Read 128509 times)

Avurax

• View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Two
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
I believe so, Palestine.  Though I am not entirely sure what occurred.

Orren does his best to muster a smile at Semus and stands up.  "I am pleased to have 'graduated'.  Will my companions be required to graduate as well? Orren asks sheepishly.  He takes a moment to unfurl the scroll and see if anything is written on it or whether it is decorative only.  "I take it that this was part of your lesson and not a true ganjees encounter?"

"One of you can lead us through the next door", Orren chuckles to his companions.

LJ, does that mean the man behind the curtain just gave me a brain?
Deimos, you like making my avatar scream like a frightened little girl, don't you?  Admit it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
Quote from: "Avurax"
Orren does his best to muster a smile at Semus and stands up.  "I am pleased to have 'graduated'.  Will my companions be required to graduate as well? Orren asks sheepishly.  He takes a moment to unfurl the scroll and see if anything is written on it or whether it is decorative only.
Seamus does his best to assure you that your companions will not.   "No, the terrifying illusion you just experienced was set to make victim of whomever next attempted to open any of the doors, and has no bearing on the way beyond.  It is enough that one of you possesses the skill to succeed."  Then he adds with touch of irritation, "Three doors, three tests -- now how cliched would that be!"

You look over the scroll.  On one side is an elaborate script stating that Seamus O'Malley, Esq., on recommendation of the universe, has conferred upon Orren Alkath the rank of "Fluke Monkey, twelfth circle" with all its rights, privileges, and obligations.  (Upon reading this, Orren gains 5 points of Luck and 5 points of Panprobability Ability.)  

The other side contains an Enchantment Activation unlike any you've ever seen before.  It would seem to create a programmed illusion similar to the one you just experienced, triggered upon an opponent seeing a reflective surface.  (Similar triggering to Mordey's Adversarial Reflector, pg. 84.)  It is entitled "O'Malley's Really Mean Dog", and you can copy it onto a memory tablet if you have space.  It is a Strong Activation.

"I take it that this was part of your lesson and not a true ganjees encounter?"
"Quite right, it was time for a pop quiz.  If you cannot endure that petty illusion of mine, you will be no match for the Ganjees.  Study it well.  Do you know why you survived?"

LJ, does that mean the man behind the curtain just gave me a brain?
Deimos, you like making my avatar scream like a frightened little girl, don't you?  Admit it.
Heh.  I can only lead you to the monsters, I cannot make you scream.  :P

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »
I am not exactly sure how I overcame your illusion but it seems that good things happen when I start screaming.  I am joking of course.  Was it was because I understood first (believing I should not have been blinded by the flash), willed second (telling myself I will be able to see) and acted third (closing my eyes and then opening them again)?  I do not have confidence in my answer master.  Can you tell me exactly and specifically how I survived?

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Quote from: "Avurax"
I am not exactly sure how I overcame your illusion but it seems that good things happen when I start screaming.  I am joking of course.  Was it was because I understood first (believing I should not have been blinded by the flash), willed second (telling myself I will be able to see) and acted third (closing my eyes and then opening them again)?  I do not have confidence in my answer master.  Can you tell me exactly and specifically how I survived?
"Your reasoning is improving, but that's not quite correct.  I shall explain it so that the others may learn something as well.  All they saw was you stop at the door; everything that transpired was in your head."

"You started off very well, immediately understanding that you were facing an illusion.  That is the first step.  You certainly willed for reality to be otherwise by telling yourself not to be afraid and give into it.  That was very good, two steps done with right away.  I was impressed.  But then, for some inexplicable reason you faltered and forgot the third step."

"You completely failed to act -- and thereby to actually evoke change.  I thought you were in great peril at that point, to be honest.  You closed your eyes, and tried to stab an illusion!  That won't work, of course -- by accepting the illusion's terms, you give it strength.  Attacking it will do no good; wishing it away is not an action.  Learn from this mistake, and learn quickly."

"Fear.  The much maligned fear you so harshly pushed away did not take it personally and came back to the rescue.  You see, fear can be both an enemy and an ally.  It saved your life today by forcing you to take action.    That illusion would have killed you if you hadn't brought this old friend along with you."

"You see, there were many paths to defeating this relatively weak illusion once it was realized for what it was, and willed otherwise.  All that was required was a single act that sought to negate the illusion itself rather than it's content.  You chose to do so by screaming for assistance -- and presumably not from the dog which already you knew to be false, or from the blindness which you also already knew to be false -- but from the illusion you felt you could not defeat on your own.  That was sufficient and the illusion dropped."

"You'll note somewhat morbidly that dying is also an action, and it succeeds as well.  However, this is not a particularly desirable solution so seek out an alternate approach whenever possible.  The Ganjees' illusions will not be nearly so easy to remove, but I trust the lesson is learned:  No matter what you face, you must act."

"That is the universal key to removing any illusion, though as we're pressed for time it might be wise to be proactive and look for a spell that can negate them, too.  Try the library, if you can locate it.  I think it's through the bronze-handled door, but I haven't been through the tower in ages."

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
"Well friends, do you think we could spare a bit of time to try and locate something in the library?  Any assistance we could find through the bronze-handled door would be better than what we have now.  We could try the copper door that Scrubbs recommended instead, if you wish."  

"While the iron knob will takes us the way we know, I believe we need further help before tackling the ganjees or the sorcerer and  backtracking will not help in that endeavor, old friend"  Orren says to Silvereye.  "I would prefer one of you try opening whichever door we decide to go through."

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
I nod to Seamus, and turn to Orren, "I agree. The library is the logical choice, Orren.  The bronze handle gives us as good a chance as the others, unless this too is an illusion, and there is but one door, or none."  

"Palestine, I would like to know your thoughts before we leave."

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
"I suspect you two are more bookish than I.  If you think you can gain knowledge that may increase our chance of success, by all means let us proceed to the library."  Palestine turns her attention to the bronze handle.  "Will you do the honors, or shall I?"

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
"Palestine, you are too kind."  

I reach out and grasp the bronze handle, laughing quietly, and open the door.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
The door opens into a small twisty passageway, seemingly hewn out of solid rock.  It is sparely lit by torches, and continues forward out of sight.  Ahead some thirty feet another smaller passageway joins it from the right, but it not illuminated.  You hear the sound of water flowing ahead past this junction.

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 10:56:36 PM »
"So, what do you say?  Do we continue down the lit path, branch off to the unlit path or turn around and try one of the other doors?"  Orren asks.

Deimos, does the water sound like it is coming from the lit path or the unlit path?

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 05:33:12 AM »
Another test by Seamus?  I grin behind my scarf.

Turning I look back at the door, has it closed?  If the way remains open can we see Seamus and Scrubbs and ask them if this is the way to the library?  If the door is open I'll leave the decsison to contnue or go back to Palestine and Orren.

If the door has closed, I mutter to myself, and reply, "Let's us move quietly and scout the corridor."  Following my routine, I let my Wylfish senses extend and scan the area.  If Orren and Palestine agree, I'll move ahead, say five paces in front of my companions, till we reach the smaller passage way.  I'll stop before the intersection, listen, then carefully look around the corner from a crouched position.

D: Do we know how much time has passed?  Have I healed at all?

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
Seeing the unlit corridor branching off ahead, Palestine brings her bow into use, lightly holding an arrow, nocked.  Unless Silvereye or Orren hold back, she follows Silvereye, moving as quietly as her armor will allow.  "I think we should investigate the unlit corridor," she whispers.  "I'd hate to have an unexplored avenue at my back."

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »
Orren waits for Silvereye to report on his brief recon mission.  Remembering how his last decision turned out, he follows silently behind Palestine.  If any of the torches can be removed, Orren will take one to light the way down the darkened corridor.

deimos3428

• View Profile
Moving On
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
You take a glance back at the room behind, and see no trace of it's former inhabitants as the door shuts with a quiet click behind you.  Taking this as your cue to move on, Silvereye mutters something unheard under his breath, and then leads the party to the intersection with renewed vigor.  You are all at maximum health and AEP.

As you warily travel down the corridor, nothing out of the ordinary occurs -- though after your recent string of ordeals it might be more accurate to say "nothing happens".  Looking down the dark smaller branch, you see it heads back to the south.  It is very narrow, and not at all straight, perhaps three feet at the widest portions and much narrower in places -- a tight squeeze but doable.  It may in fact be naturally formed, and seems to head downwards.  It does not appear to have been used in some time by anything larger than a rat.

The hewn corridor in front of you is small but large in comparison.  It is about 5' wide, and bends sharply to the right several paces ahead.  You cannot see beyond it from your current position, but you hear the sound of water emanating from that direction and feel the air is somewhat more moist and cool.

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
Resting my hand on the rough stone wall, I peer down the narrow path and whisper, "I wonder if this passage leads to the cave we spotted outside the keep?"

"I'm tempted to find out where this leads, yet...."  I eye the sharp bend ahead of us.  "Orren, Palestine, what do you think?"