Author Topic: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Two  (Read 128495 times)

deimos3428

• View Profile
Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Two
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
Welcome back, players.

This is where I'll be running the second portion of our campaign, away from certain distractions.  I do apologize for the change in venue, but feel it was a necessary evil.  Thanks to Darius for getting this setup in short order.

I hope to have something of note up shortly, but do check in so I know you're about.  Then we'll get started.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Down to Business
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
Ok, let's get down to business. :D
----
Quote from: "lucyjoyce"
Startled, Palestine looks down at Orren in his newly acquired chair, then back at O’Malley.

“Mr. O’Malley, you speak of purpose and preparation. You encourage us to look beyond the immediacy of our challenge, perhaps to see a larger picture, if you will. I am willing to open my mind to your guidance, indeed – I would be honored to do so. How shall I best prepare myself? The larger purpose, to me, is to make this world a better place. Please help me if you will.”
"Excellent, my dear.  I would we should all learn so quickly!"  O'Malley leans forward towards Palestine, teetering on the edge of the table.  He continues stepping forward, seemingly oblivious.

"For understanding one's predicament is the first step, and willingness to change it the second."  He looks genuinely surprised as gravity then embraces him, and he falls with an audible thud to the ground.  he dusts himself off, and continues.  "Only then can things be made otherwise...as I have demonstrated."

"You see, all foreknowledge is stemmed from that basic fact.  Did I fall because I did not understand, I did not will, or did not act?  It only matters beforehand, and we cannot tell which after the fact.  Preparation is the remedy to every situation."

"How can you best prepare yourself for what lies ahead?  That is a good question, and the answer to all good questions is always the same -- by knowing yourself.  Are you the sort to stand on a table?"

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Two
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
Certainly I am the sort to stand on a table, if getting on the table served a purpose, such as extending my reach or avoiding something down low.  I would also try to ascertain that it would serve as a solid base for me.

Understanding, willingness, action.  I suspect understanding is the key, as all further steps rely on correct interpretation.  Is that, then, the definition of wisdom?

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »
Certainly I am the sort to stand on a table, if getting on the table served a purpose, such as extending my reach or avoiding something down low.  I would also try to ascertain that it would serve as a solid base for me.

Understanding, willingness, action.  I suspect understanding is the key, as all further steps rely on correct interpretation.  Is that, then, the definition of wisdom?
"Wisdom?  I cannot truly say.  I am not an expert on that subject, for wisdom is based upon knowledge gained from experience.  More valuable from my perspective is wisdom's mirror image: foresight.  Knowing is enough.  For example, if you are the sort to stand on a table, you must take care where you step.  Could you get me the red volume to your left while you're up there, please?  Third from the left.  Careful now!"

Palestine suddenly realizes she's most of the way up a tall movable ladder with wheels at the top and bottom, the sort one might find in a library.  It's leaning on a set of shelves that reach some twenty feet up, upon which rests a single book at the very top.  It's just out of reach.  Seamus is looking up at you, as are your companions.  You're pretty sure none of this was there a second ago...

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
Palestine looks up at the book.  Understanding, willing, acting... she imagines herself reaching up and grasping the book.  She stretches her hand up...and?

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:22:01 PM »
Palestine looks up at the book.  Understanding, willing, acting... she imagines herself reaching up and grasping the book.  She stretches her hand up...and?
She grabs the book!  It seems like a major victory, somehow, even though it wasn't that big a stretch.  Then you look down...you are no longer standing on the ladder but floating in midair.

Seamus chuckles to himself.  "Excellent.  Now come down before you hurt yourself."

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »
With a willing suspension of disbelief regarding the laws of physics, Palestines looks with her mind's eye, and sees herself standing on the floor.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
With a willing suspension of disbelief regarding the laws of physics, Palestines looks with her mind's eye, and sees herself standing on the floor.
You concentrate, but nothing happens.  You remain floating in mid-air, seemingly weightless.

Seamus chuckles loudly as he climbs up the ladder, reaching out and offering his hand to help stabilize your wobbly form.  "I was afraid that something like that might happen.  No, no, stop concentrating like that, you'll only get a headache.  I'll guide you back down, gently now, gently."  You slowly float down to the floor guided by Seamus, and soon your feet are welcomed by the familiar floor.

"Remember:  understand first, will second, act third.  That's the fundamental difference between what we're doing here and some parlor trick -- you can't just make things happen with your mind!  That's just silly.  We're trying to adjust reality here, so let's review."

"You grabbed the book simply because you understood the situation.  It was there to be grabbed, though too high to be reached.  You willed for it to be reachable, which is the second step.  But of course nothing happend until you actually stretched for it.  You can't just wish things a certain way, or reality will throw you about like a chew-toy and laugh.  You must act."

"I know what you're thinking.  'But Orren wished for a chair and it appeared!'  No, of course he didn't -- that's silly.  You can't just make a chair appear, nobody can."

"He simply realized he didn't have a chair, thought about it, and decided he really wanted one.  He wanted to change the situation.  So he scrunched up his face and looked uncomfortable.  I saw that of course, and summoned one for him from a shop in far-away Durleone.  Frankly I suspect he was after a couch, but it's a small room.  The point is he did not merely will, but acted -- and in so doing ultimately set reality upon another course.  Learn to see what will happen before it happens...or what is possible...and you can change what happens to your advantage."

"Which brings us to lesson two.  Knowing yourself is the most important thing, regardless of whether you are in an extradimensional space that bends probability in your favor or not.  But knowing your companions is important, too.  I know the face of a man wanting a chair when I see one."

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
Palestine looks over at the fairly inscrutable Silvereye, and at Orren, looking entirely too comfortable in his chair.  She felt herself to be an open book, but wasn't sure how well she knew them.

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
"Joham's death gave you understanding Seamus--that you must interfere--and you acted.  It seems the immediacy of our situation is paramount or we would not be here, yet in doing so, we have stop acting."

"This preparation...these lessons for understanding reality and ourselves: are you implying that Balthus has created a reality--a veil--that we must overcome, or is this a broader examination of the self: a lesson of being and becoming?  Or both?"

deimos3428

• View Profile
Plot Twist
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »
Quote from: "Silvereye"
"Joham's death gave you understanding Seamus--that you must interfere--and you acted.  It seems the immediacy of our situation is paramount or we would not be here, yet in doing so, we have stop acting."
"Hmm.  Now that is an interesting way of looking at it, but I must disagree.    To be fair, you are working under a set of false assumptions, an oversight I shall now correct.  Joham's death gave me nothing but sadness, and it has for a long time."

"I know you dearly wish that Joham had not passed, as do I.  You should know that I am prescient -- not omniscient nor omnipotent.  I am not a god.  Suffice to say his passing could not have been prevented on any of the paths known to me at the time I foretold it.  You see, I foresaw Joham's death more than three weeks ago...and that's why you're here, as I said.  Not here in this room...here on this quest.  Have you not stopped to wonder about such things?"

"I first brought my concerns regarding the Ganjees to the sorceror himself, for as you may know he is the ruler of these lands --  at least in name.  Some of his subjects are rather unruly, and it was agreed that something must be done, for they are fast growing out of control.  Balthus did his part and planted the rumblings of war towards Mirsylvanis.  Of course, the good King Radivax was only too eager to send some adventurers my way...but did you notice an army on the way in?"

He smiles jovially at you and winks.

"This preparation...these lessons for understanding reality and ourselves: are you implying that Balthus has created a reality--a veil--that we must overcome, or is this a broader examination of the self: a lesson of being and becoming?  Or both?"
"You may indeed wish to destroy Balthus, for he is a powerful and vile man.  I cannot tell you whether that is wise or just, and I think it's a fairly obvious point that devils are not to be trusted.  But your most immediate threat is that of the Ganjees, for I know that you will encounter them soon...and if you are not ready, you will die.  I seek to prepare you for what lies ahead -- regardless of the path you select."

"Do not think that I am giving you lessons as such, for I am not.  Learning to manipulate time and space takes...well, time and space -- and we have neither to spare.  I seek only to encourage you to employ the tools you already carry to better effect.  I truly cannot do more than that, even if you understood the whole of the universe in an instant."

Silvereye

• View Profile
Re: Plot Twist
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »
Quote from: "deimos3428"

"I first brought my concerns regarding the Ganjees to the sorceror himself, for as you may know he is the ruler of these lands --  at least in name.  Some of his subjects are rather unruly, and it was agreed that something must be done, for they are fast growing out of control.  Balthus did his part and planted the rumblings of war towards Mirsylvanis.  Of course, the good King Radivax was only too eager to send some adventurers my way...but did you notice an army on the way in?"

Nodding, I ask Seamus, "The absence of an army was duly noted.  When you say you mentioned your concern over the Ganjees to the sorcerer himself, do you mean Balthus or another?"  With a soft laugh, I continue, "If that is the case Seamus, Balthus has used King Radivax to rid himself of his troubles:  a prudent, an acceptable ruse...though I do not like being a pawn. What if we leave, and let the Ganjees grow in power?"

Quote from: "deimos3428"
"You may indeed wish to destroy Balthus, for he is a powerful and vile man.  I cannot tell you whether that is wise or just, and I think it's a fairly obvious point that devils are not to be trusted.  But your most immediate threat is that of the Ganjees, for I know that you will encounter them soon...and if you are not ready, you will die.  I seek to prepare you for what lies ahead -- regardless of the path you select."

"Do not think that I am giving you lessons as such, for I am not.  Learning to manipulate time and space takes...well, time and space -- and we have neither to spare.  I seek only to encourage you to employ the tools you already carry to better effect.  I truly cannot do more than that, even if you understood the whole of the universe in an instant."

"If the Ganjees are the threat, it would be best if you told us something about them:  what they are--demons or men--their capabilities, their weaknesses, the hold they have in the keep.  Were the Ganjees brought to the keep by Balthus?  Are they allied with Balthus or have they run riot and now have their own agenda?"

"I have no wish to see my friends die.  Let us speak plainly, and we will try and follow your lessons."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Plot Twist
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 02:49:08 PM »
Quote from: "Silvereye"
Nodding, I ask Seamus, "The absence of an army was duly noted.  When you say you mentioned your concern over the Ganjees to the sorcerer himself, do you mean Balthus or another?"
"Balthus is the only sorcerer in these parts, and it is to him I refer.  He agreed to address my concerns -- after a little persuasion, of course.  Whether you leave or not is your decision to make, of course...but now at least you know why you're here.  I have seen that you will encounter the Ganjees, but I do not know that choosing a different path will change what I have seen.  I am rarely mistaken."

"If the Ganjees are the threat, it would be best if you told us something about them:  what they are--demons or men--their capabilities, their weaknesses, the hold they have in the keep.  Were the Ganjees brought to the keep by Balthus?  Are they allied with Balthus or have they run riot and now have their own agenda?"
"I do not believe them to be demons.  I have divined only that they are evil spirits, capable of manifesting themselves physically when required.  In any event, they are certainly not men.  Your wits will serve as the best weapons in dealing with them, not your fists or your magical powers.  If they have any weaknesses, it would be those typical of evil beings -- greed, hunger for power, impatience."

"They are tolerated by Balthus, or perhaps him by them -- I am not quite sure which, as they are both formidable forces of evil."

At this point, you hear a small cough and see Scrubbs leaning on the far wall, holding up a paintbrush.  He nods his head at you, then addresses Seamus.

"Everything's prepared, boss -- they can go whenever they're ready to pick one."  He leans in towards you and whispers, "I'd pick the copper, but what do I know.  Nobody knows, not even Mal.  Here we go now, just a minute."  He carefully begins wiping dust away from the wall, and the paintbrush slowly reveals three doors -- each has a doorknob of bronze, brass, and copper respectfully.

Seamus smiles.  "I'm afraid we've run out of time, friends.  You must be on your way, for I have other matters to attend.  Select any door you wish, and may luck smile upon you for Scrubbs speaks the truth.  I do not know where they lead, except that they are all exits to the tower.  You may go out the way you came if you prefer, it's the iron knob behind you."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:06:35 PM by deimos3428 »

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »
Orren's head jerks back having almost dozed off in his posh chair.  As he gets to his feet, Orren approaches his companions.  He then whispers "Scrubbs has been the kindest soul we have met in this foul place.  However, his opinions have been off, specifically with the password.  I have no special insight into which door is best but the brass handle would be my choice."

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 03:58:58 AM »
Checking to make sure my equipment is secure and the scarf covering my face is tied tight, I look at my companions. "Orren, we could go back the way we came, yet if you prefer chance I will follow you.  Palestine, your choice?"