Poll

What is your opinion of dual-stat products?

Great!  This product can be used for 2 games with no conversion necessary.
Good.   The "other" stats may raise my interest in the other game.
Okay.  It doesn't bother me at all because I got what I wanted.
Sucks!  Spinach & Ice Cream IS NOT a winning combination!!!!!

Author Topic: Dual Stat Products  (Read 3471 times)

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Dual Stat Products
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »
I am considering doing my campaign world document in a single, dual-statted file.  One system will definitely be PJ Fantasy but the other system is probably going to be one of the OGL clone/neo-clone systems; probably S&W or Back to the Dungeon!.  Of course, I am going to make sure that all of the open content is done correctly and kept separate from the stuff that is not.  One way to do that is to put the open content in a separate appendix.  Another is to do the stats facing each other but have the open content set apart in a text box or a grey-scale background or something similar.  I am not worried about that at this point.  I just want to know what people think of dual-stat products.  Granted, mine is going to be free for download but I just want to know...lol.
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Stat Products
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
Not sure how useful any feedback you get from here will be.  Maybe Dragonsfoot would be better or ask on your blog. 

The purpose of dual-stat is one of two things.  First, it doubles your potential audience.  Second, it can lead to people learning about an alternative system and playing it.  TLG dual-stated things for LA.  It got a few more people to purchase their products.  In reality, it was a way to get product support for LA without losing money on it.  It was also a way to introduce the system to other people. 

It doesn't really hurt to dual-stat, it just takes time to do it.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
I just read something from the publisher of Achtung Cthulhu.  He posted up how providing dual (or more) stats had really helped the game take off.  So, maybe doing more than one stat is a good idea - especially if you are trying to sell the setting. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
I just read something from the publisher of Achtung Cthulhu.  He posted up how providing dual (or more) stats had really helped the game take off.  So, maybe doing more than one stat is a good idea - especially if you are trying to sell the setting.

Cool.  I was just curious but who knows?
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.