Author Topic: Frostalves (New Race)  (Read 3413 times)

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Frostalves (New Race)
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
Frostalves

Frostalves are slightly shorter than humans are, but have frames similar to humans.  They have long pointed ears and long slender fingers.  Frostalves are known for their strength, agility, and endurance.  Their skin is white, blue, or bluish-gray in tone.  The darker the complexion, the more blue the skin looks.  Lighter skin resembles snow.  They have slanted eyes.  Frostalves live is cold mountain climates.  They are individualistic in nature and are highly skilled in magic and survival skills. 

Initial Core Attribute guidelines.  At character creation, players allocate 195 points to the following four attributes but must stay within the guidelines.  During the course of game play, these core attribute ratings may fall outside of these ranges.

Health: 45-85
Agility: 35-65
Mind:   40-65
Speed:  35-60

Optional Rule: Allocate 160 points to the four attributes and then add 2d12+2 to health, 1d10+4 to Agility, 1d12 to Mind, and 2d6 to Speed.  If the amount added by the die would raise the value above their racial limits, then the value is recorded as the highest value within the racial limit.

Excluded Abilities: Chivalry, Psionics.
Restricted Abilities:Commerce, Marining, and Streetwise.

Racial Traits:
1) Frostalves are 90% resistant to magical spells that do cold damage. 
2) Frostalves suffer a 50% penalty to saving throws against fire, including those of magical origin. 
3) Frostalves are twice as resistant to cold temperatures as humans, but twice as sensitive to heat. 
4) Frostalves gain a 10% bonus to Melee Weapons when using a hammer or spear. 
5) Frostalves gain a 10% bonus to Survivalism checks made in mountainous, snow, cold, or similar conditions.
6) Frostalves have a natural affinity for Elementalism.  They gain a 5-point bonus if that ability is selected at character creation. 
7) Frostalves are concerned about power, prestige, and wealth.  While they are generally as trustworthy as any human, they are more willing to betray friends or allies if it secures them significant power, prestige, or wealth.
8 ) Frostalves shun cheaters and are more likely to engage in violence or kill someone that they believe has cheated them.  This is especially so if it involves cheating at a game of chance with money on the line. 

Frostalves 200 Design Points (Max 0 Edges, 2 Flaws)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:40:21 PM by Darius »

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Re: Frostalves (New Race)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
Seems I hit modify instead of reply and deleted your post :(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:40:36 PM by Darius »
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Who said it was an elf:P 

Not sure about the optional rules for determining stats.  I thought I deleted it, but maybe I did put that info in correctly.  I never use it and will likely be deleted from  2E. 

I have 2-3 other races planned for the fantasy game.  The problem is making them different in terms of stats, not just looks, and making sure it is balanced with other races.  Frostalves are already pushing it for me.  It probably need another drawback to balance things.  Oh, I forget to put in the design points.  Time to edit the original post. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
Seems I hit modify instead of reply and deleted your post :(

Divine intervention?  8)
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »
Who said it was an elf:P

I admit that I did assume they were elves... ;)

Not sure about the optional rules for determining stats.  I thought I deleted it, but maybe I did put that info in correctly.  I never use it and will likely be deleted from  2E.

I don't know why but I seem to have thought "I am not using that" the very first time I read the optional stat generation rules.  They seem just fine but I just had that thought.

I have 2-3 other races planned for the fantasy game.  The problem is making them different in terms of stats, not just looks, and making sure it is balanced with other races.  Frostalves are already pushing it for me.  It probably need another drawback to balance things.  Oh, I forget to put in the design points.  Time to edit the original post.

Interesting.  It seems like 2E is going to be quite a bit different from the changes I have read so far.

I'm still plugging away on some races from my campaign.  Would you mind if I posted the original some time and see what ideas and thoughts are on converting it to PJ Fantasy?
----------------------
Charlie