Author Topic: PJ Fantasy Rules Now Available in Printed Form  (Read 7771 times)

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PJ Fantasy Rules Now Available in Printed Form
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
You can now purchase a physical copy of the rules by POD at Lulu.  

http://http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/perilous-journeys/12916415
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

maasenstodt

• View Profile
Re: PJ Fantasy Rules Now Available in Printed Form
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
Any chance of seeing this in either hardback or digest formats?  Any chance (oh please, oh please, oh please  :D ) of seeing it in a hardback digest?

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
The problem is that formatting is done to particular dimensions.  This rules out digest size.  I would love to do hardback, but would need to find a different POD service or have it printed locally.  Lulu does not do standard rpg book size in hardback so there is the same problem as the digest size.  The closest I can get with hardback is 8.25 x 10.75.  I have tried altering the page size, but it does not alter where the text is so the test just takes up more of the page.  This would result in words being cut off during the printing process.

So far, I have not found an alternative POD service that has reasonable prices (most want thousands of dollars).  In the late spring to early summer there is a new project coming out.  I will be looking for a local place that can do both paper and hardback.  I will have some made up and sell them myself.  If I can, then I will try and have a couple hardbacks of this made.  

In theory, Lulu will simply shrink the page size to fit the dimensions of the book.  They warn it is likely to mess of the formatting.  I have not been willing to spend the $20 to find out.  If you are interested in finding out, I can make a hardback available for you to purchase, I just cannot guarantee that the formatting will not be messed up.

maasenstodt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
Just out of curiosity, do you have any interest in reformatting the book to the dimensions lulu requires for hardbacks (digest or no) or getting some help to do so?

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:11 AM »
It is not as simple as reformatting.  It would require doing the full 129 page layout again.  I am not interested in doing the digest size.  The layout would have to be dramatically different.  While a bit time consuming, the hardback layout would be similar.  I would know pretty much where the art goes and be able to keep the same size on the art.  If there was significant interest in the hardback I could justify it.  I am just not sure how many people are going to want to play $20+ for the book.

Unlike the small time "clone" publishers that often just use OpenOffice, I use actual publishing software so people would have to have publishing software to help redo the layout.

maasenstodt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »
Having purchased about a dozen of them, I think the quality of lulu's hardbacks is very good.  $20 or so for a Perilous Journey hardback seems very reasonable to me, and of much more appeal than a soft cover.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:19:51 AM »
I played around with trying to do the layout in 8.25x10.75 and so far it has been a pain.  Images have to be resized and now some images aren't fitting well in spots.  To make them fit the column, it looks too narrow or stretched out.  Keep the same ratio leaves white space around the image or doesn't take up the space I need it to.  The one page description of character creation now stretches into the next page.  Minor things like that really mess up the layout and require thinking about how to do a totally different layout since things don't fit now.  Where do you add art?  Where do you remove it?  How bad does it look having something that fit into one page spill over 5 lines onto the next page that is a different subject?  

My point is that doing the hardback layout is not going to be easy.  The quality of Lulu hardbacks is not the issue, it is a time management issue.  Using the D&D clone market as an example, if you sell 15 copies of something it is a success.  That is a very low threshold and not something people often get to.  So the question becomes if it is worth the time to completely redo the layout so people can purchase a hardback version?  I just don't want to spend hours on something that will get 0-2 sales.  

I might be wrong and going hardback would generate lots of sales, I just have no evidence of that.   For the moment, I prioritize getting additional material out over revisiting something that is already done.  I have one more idea that might work.  I can reduce the font size by one point and see if things fit.  If so, then that is an option.  If not, then a hardback would need to wait until I find a local printer to do the job.  I am going to do that, but it won't be until the next project is done.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
If you want a hardback, I have two options for you.

1.  I measured the border.  Lulu suggests at least .5 on an inch to prevent things from being in the crack of the book or being cut off.  Now, nothing will be cut off, however, parts of the test will be in the crease between pages.  If you are fine with that, I can make it available now.

2.  Most of the current text is 10 point font.  I can lower it to 9.8 and then resize the page.  This pretty much preserves the current layout perfectly.  However, I have to do this with every page.  I have to shrink the text and then the page.  In some cases I have to also shrink the art.  It just depends on the page.  Now, this is much easier than doing a layout from scratch.  It will take some time to do and the text will be slightly smaller.

Let me know what option you prefer.

maasenstodt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »
Edit:  So it seems that when I went to respond, I just edited what you posted.  Not sure how that happened, but I can't recover your post.  Sorry - admin

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
A copy of the current print file has taken the place of the original download on this site. If you want to get a new version out, then take a read and make note of anything that needs to be fixed. The sooner I know what needs to be fixed, the sooner I can get another version available to print.

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
I just got my copy and I am very happy with the POD service from Lulu.  The book is attractive, professional looking, and seems pretty sturdy to me.  I will definitely be looking into purchasing more rpg material from them.
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.