Author Topic: conversion  (Read 3773 times)

velvetlinedbox

• View Profile
conversion
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:21:25 AM »
I was wondering if somewhere out in cyber space there is conversion notes to LA from 3.x or is this a no go and should never be tried?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
There isn't.  I, nor anyone else that I know of has tried.  The difficulty depends on what you are trying to do.  If it is for characters, I would say that it is difficult and there would be no formula to make it easy.  You would pick the class and then find the appropriate abilities from the list.  It is just difficult going from a class/level system to a skill system and gets even more complicated when you try to take into power progression per level.

If you are talking about monsters, that should be easier.  I did it for AD&D, which would work for 2e as well.  I think for 3/4 e this should work, you just need to redo the AF formula to work with AC going up instead of down.  There is stuff posted on D&D to 3e Ac conversion.  You could convert it to D&D form, then run the formula.  

Monsters: AD&D to PJ conversion

Below you will find formulas for converting AD&D monsters to PJ. This is not entirely accurate for all monsters, but should provide ease of use and guidance for most monsters.

Health=20+((HD-1)*8) [If HD is 1 or less simply multiple by 1 instead of 0]
Agility=((41 - THAC0) * 3)
Speed=(Move" + 6)*4
Mind= speed or 4*Int
AF=(10 - AC) * 2 or if wearing armor, use the PJ armor table

If one wants to created a range for health, then multiply times 8 for the lower range and 10 for the upper. It should be noted that AD&D is a class based game. These games are built on the principle that when level or HD go up, then the monster is harder to kill and does more damage (primarily by hitting more often). As such, all 8HD monsters will look the same. This has nothing to do with conversion, just how they are in AD&D to begin with. PJ allows for greater variety. You can have a target that takes a lot of damage by misses often, or something that can take few hits but hits often. When creating or converting monsters, it is important to keep this in mind if one is expecting greater variety in attributes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »