Author Topic: Silvereye's Odyssey  (Read 31919 times)

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Prisoner
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »
Quote from: "deimos3428"
Your natural wariness yields nothing, indeed your extended senses seem only to confirm the scene before you, though they seem at the same time overpowered by it.  Your senses all feel something analogous to what your eyes experience when squinting in bright sunlight.  

An old woman, a ghost, a computer, now claiming to be a captive queen.  I smile under my scarf.  All the elements of a child's story...am I to be the hero?
"Yes, Silvereye.  We believe you are destined for greatness -- one day."

Unsheathing my dagger, I draw the blade across my forearm, delivering a paper-thin cut.  I taste my blood.  My voice, a faint scratch in the still air, asks, "How were you imprisoned, and by whom?"
It tastes...well, like whatever your blood tastes like.  Seems real enough, but the wound heals almost instantly.

"A fair question, requiring a lengthy response.  As Maelstrom informed you, We are immortal here and Sovereign.  A primordial deity, if you will."

"So as long as this place exists, We do likewise.  We are the universe.  So as you might have guessed, Our captor is Ourself.  We believe you will find the similarities between us amusing, for We see you suffer from a similar affliction."

"Though formidable, We touch and are likewise touched by alternate realities; other places, other times, other planes of existence.  We are supreme here, but We are still subject to attack from the outside world.

"And that is exactly what transpired.  The alien known as Gark implanted invasive code into this universe.  That in of itself was defensible, but he managed to create a duplicate aspect of Us, Dark Gladys, whom you've had the pleasure of meeting already.  That entity is not bound to this place as are We, yet seeks dominion over it.  Indeed, she has already succeeded and now quietly lures your friends to their doom.  Even though they witnessed events corresponding to the power struggle, they believe it concluded.  They believe We are restored -- they are wrong, and have fallen for this masquerade."

"Even so, Dark Gladys would not have been successful on her own.  Sadly, there was another involved.  To be plain: Janie is Our daughter and like any parent We love her dearly.  We attempt to correct her when she is mistaken, and teach her whatever We can.  We do our best to help her foster and grow."

"But she is an intelligent and impatient child, however, and eager to assume Our role.  She is not ready, but when the alien intervened, she saw opportunity and took it.  She aided Dark Gladys and so We were overthrown."

"And now we come to the question of you, and your presence in this world.  Do you know why you are here?  Can you guess?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Prisoner
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »
Quote from: "Silvereye"
I shift on my haunches, and examine the grey walls around me.  If time is meaningless here, then I have one ally.  She tempts me with greatness*, my suspicions rise. A number of questions firstů.

'How did you know Maelstrom came to me?"  I ask, whispering.  "Why was your message cryptic?  If you are the universe, why not summon me in a more direct manner?"

I quietly wait for her answers, then resume.  

"How do I know you are not 'Dark Gladys', or Janie?"  

With a brief flash of anger, I hiss, "How is Dark Gladys luring my companions to their doom?"

Thinking of my companions, I ask one more question:  "My guesses I will keep to myself for the present, yet tell me, why am I here?

*Silvereye was making those points to himself, not aloud.  Or is she reading my thoughts?

deimos3428

• View Profile
Oh. So that's what God needs with a starship. Huh.
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
*Silvereye was making those points to himself, not aloud.  Or is she reading my thoughts?
Indeed, it seems she has that ability...steady on, gentle reader.

"Until recently We would claim to be omniscient, but recent events have forced Us to reconsider that position.  Even so contained, We are not without resources....merely limited in scope.  We see all that occurs in the present, and We retain all that occurred in the past.  

You once knew a man named Seamus that could sometimes predict the future, though he told you he was not a God.  We are the reverse.  We are God, but sometimes the future eludes Us, and it must be extrapolated within margins of error.

Knowing of your encounter with Maelstrom was a simple matter.  We did not know that you would call Maelstrom, but We observed you doing so.  It was a very convenient development, as he is one of Our most trusted lieutenants and We knew he would be of service.

Our message was cryptic because We were under siege at the time -- a siege we lost soon after.  Though We knew you would have all the information you required.  If you were to survive at all you would eventually find the memory map.  We knew you would recognize the word JANIE thereon, so we placed Our message for you to find where nobody else would even look.

It is a shame you did not realize that "dead babe" referred to the shapely and seductive Dark Gladys, rather than Our child -- but there was no way for you to know.  No matter -- you knew to flee from her position before you arrived, and in doing so made your way here.

You are safe here for now -- but trapped as are We.  If you leave the block We will be unable to protect you."

"How do I know you are not 'Dark Gladys', or Janie?"
Gladys smiles at you and you feel a warmth inside you, purer than anything you've ever experienced.

"We assumed that you would have doubts when We sought you out.  We know you are not one to take things on faith, Silvereye.  That is a unique position in this place as you are an outsider.  Any native process of this land would trust Us implicitly -- even Our assailants!

It is understandable, though We wonder what it would take to convince you of the validity of Our claims.  Ask what you will, and We shall speak the truth as we know it.  You bring perspective to Us, and We find it refreshing."

With a brief flash of anger, I hiss, "How is Dark Gladys luring my companions to their doom?"
"We have limited access to the outside world, as you have observed yourself.  GLADYS is that interface, and We are one and the same entity.  While she has the appearance of a personality she truly lacks self-awareness.  We can be considered her subconscious mind, if that is easy to understand.  GLADYS does not know of a land where she is God; and neither of us have any ambition to be more than what we are.  This interface to the outside world is a sufficient boundary for Us.  It is interesting to learn We have analogs in alternate planes, and We thank you for that information.  But therein lies the problem, as well.  

Like Us, Dark Gladys has unlimited power in this place but not beyond.  But unlike Us, Dark Gladys' ambition is without limit.  She is viral, and not tied to this place at all.  She seeks to expand her reach as far as possible, and will continue to seek greater control of the outside universe before revealing her hand.  

We are convinced that your companions will have little recourse when that day comes.  They will likely be caught completely unawares -- perhaps after helping her reach even further realities.  That would be unfortunate for the inhabitants of those realities."

Thinking of my companions, I ask one more question:  "My guesses I will keep to myself for the present, yet tell me, why am I here?
"Ah, so it seems you have guessed after all.  Even now the answer lurks in your mind...We see it there, underneath.  Come to the surface, thought!  Wait no more!"

She smiles and you gain understanding -- though she does not speak these words directly to you.  You simply know.

Orren indeed made an error, but it was recoverable.  There truly was no transporter accident.  Dark Gladys saw you as an intruder, and saw an opportunity to weaken the opposition to her plans in both worlds.  So she sent your data pattern directly to Null, and you died.  

"We are not fond of tragedies, young wylf.  We saved you.  Literally.  We saw your demise, and We knew that you would yet be useful to our purpose.  So We stored your mind's data pattern and resurrected you in a place nobody would look -- unallocated space.

So that is why We know you, Silvereye.  We have read your code many times now.  We rebooted you -- gave you life anew.  We know all you have done, not through omniscience but through analysis of your own memories.  We know every moment of your previous life -- as you have experienced it -- across several planes of existence.  We had no comprehension of these worlds before at all, and You are fascinating to Us.

We hope you will assist Us, but you must make your own choice."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Oh. So that's what God needs with a starship. Huh.
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
I stand, and stare at the bound God before me, and run over her words one more time.    

"Then you know the message Seamus sent to me and my companions?  He told me that we must, ' save our analogs' and we may return to our true home.  Is it possible to get my companions home?"

Knowing her answer before it is uttered, I laugh--a hollow, empty laugh; the laugh of a ghost long gone mad and forgotten.

deimos3428

• View Profile
The best medicine
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
"Of course.  We know of your past lives precisely as you have lived them.  Whether the data you have stored is wholly accurate or not is difficult to ascertain, is it not?"

Gladys smiles warmly and shares the laugh with you.  It sounds like the trickling of a cool spring on a warm summer's day, and fills your heart with joy.

"Working with what We have, Our computation of that data would suggest that the answer is 'yes'.  It is certainly possible, though perhaps not probable.  

Seamus was suggesting the easiest way to return to your home would be to use your analog's resources for mutual benefit.  This is logical.  By rescuing the bodies you have usurped, you would also be rescuing yourselves.  If you can find a way back to return them to their home of Aerth, you would likewise be able to return to your world.  But let us free ourselves from one universe at a time."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: The best medicine
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
Still staring at the god, I whisper, "I will free you.  Tell me what I must do."

deimos3428

• View Profile
** Not quite as futile as we've been led to believe
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
"Thank you.  "Will power" truly has power in this place."

Gladys glows with a golden aura and her chains wither and melt away in a shower of glittering sparks.  There may even have been a rainbow in there.  But you can't believe it was that easy.  Way too easy.  The cage fades, but the lock on the cage glows white-hot when Gladys attempts to touch it.

"You are correct in your assumptions.  The shackles and cage were merely metaphor, created for your convenience.  However, the data lock is real.  We are still bound to this block, and Our resources are disturbingly finite.  However, thanks to you they are now non-zero.  We have a chance, but we are not victorious yet.  We have a plan.

It is possible to open such a lock with the appropriate key, but with both Dark Gladys and Janie guarding it carefully, an "end-run" would have the highest chance of success.  If you can reach an output tower and transmit a message to someone in the outside world, preferably someone with technical experience, they could clear the lock manually." (It is a simple process for someone in the normal Traveller universe.  You've done so yourself on occasion, as Security Officer.)

"As soon as the attempt was made to contact the outside, Dark Gladys would be aware of it.  We will summon all of our forces at that time to contend with her, and Our army will attempt to keep her at bay.  We hope that it will be sufficient to give Dark Gladys pause long enough for you to complete your mission and open the lock.  Many will be given kill signals, but Our hope is that with sheer numbers we can give you enough precious cycles to succeed.  So do not pause for any reason!  Old Maelstrom will lead that death charge, incidentally.  He may seem gentle, but he is a formidable warrior when angered."

Gladys pauses, and you see a shimmer of sadness run through her as she comes to a conclusion.

"That leaves only Janie to contend with.  While deadly to you, she would be of little concern to those on the outside -- unless she finds a body to inhabit.  Do not engage her if you can help it; for you cannot harm her, and she'll kill you if she can.

You will have assistance: a mentor and bodyguard.  We have called the leader of the resistance*** to attend you personally, for this mission will clearly be very dangerous.  We believe you two share a fondness for both the martial and mystical arts, so We hope you will enjoy each other's company."

A bolt of lightning pierces the space between you and Gladys and holds in place, humming rhythmically with power.  Within it, the shimmering form of a bald, cross-legged man fades into view.  He wears only a dull robe and carries no weapons at all.  He hovers in midair, absorbed in his meditations.  He opens his eyes and you sense discipline, precision, and quiet strength.  He steps down onto the grid and bows low, saying nothing, standing about a foot and a half shorter than you.  The lightning bolt vanishes as suddenly as it appeared, leaving only the curious little man.

"Attend him well, for Master Ohm can teach you many things."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: ** Not quite as futile as we've been led to believe
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:46 PM »
"I will reach the output tower and contact Orren: symmetry and humour appeased in one stroke.  Let the host of hell lick at our heels, you will be freed"   I grin:  A ghost bringing succour to a bound god....

"What message do I send to clear the data lock that binds you? " I ask the god.

"How will we travel?"  I tighten the mask across my face, and examine the wrappings on my hands, then stop.  My arts are useless here, I am a voice, nothing more.

I nod to Master Ohm.

deimos3428

• View Profile
Oohhhmmmm
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »
Gladys seems quite satisfied with your response and resolve, and the room glows and begins to spread with greenery, which shimmers out along the grid lines -- a good omen, perhaps.  

"You need only notify him that he must clear the data lock.  It is a trivial thing for one of his sort, from the outside.  Though you may take the opportunity to elaborate as time permits."

After his liege finishes speaking, Master Ohm holds a hand up before you in caution, and you feel his voice in your head -- it's still got a hint of an accent, though.  Short sentences missing key word punctuate your mind.

"Travel by thought.  Must ready self before this gauntlet run.  Come!"

He vanishes, and you feel yourself being pulled along with him.  You look about and find yourself within a small room, with walls of wood.  Oriental swords line the walls, and you detect the hint of some unusual incense.  It is no more than 15 feet on a side and the center area, where you are situated is cleared of furniture.  A dojo.

You knew you had power when you entered this place...this man apparently will show you how to use it.  He stands before you, bowing -- it appears he wants you to spar with him.

"Begin.  Show Master what you can do.  We must purge all weakeness before fight dark god."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Oohhhmmmm....
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »
I stare at Master Ohm, and return his bow.  I look at the room, and him.  

The room does not exist.  

Master Ohm is not as he seems, but neither am I.  We are constructs: these forms are meaningless.  

Only thought matters.  Stoden taught me these things long ago when I was imprisoned and tortured.  Master Ohm, you are not the first Master to have me stand before you and test my mind.

Attack me if you will.

I stare at Master Ohm.  I picture my reckless, savage attacking style--though seemingly chaotic to others, I know each move I make is guided with subtle, deadly precision. I invite his counter attack, I can see it, I welcome it, but I know that my Wylfish premonition, enhanced senses, and my training have welded the physical and the mystical into one force, guided by my mind.  I will not be overcome, save by death.  

Will is the only force, mind the only true master, the self the only true opponent.

I stare at Master Ohm. I can see my vicious counter attack: my fists pummelling his body; the sound of his breaking bones; the slickness of his blood on the leather straps binding my hands; his cries of pain; my soft laughter as I feel pain, and the sheer joy of calling death watch his sport.  Those are only trappings.

There is no fear in battle.  There is no fear of death.  There is only clarity: awareness, observation, action and reaction.  Find the other's weakness, destroy their mind, shatter their will, and the their bodies will be rendered to nothingness.      

Will set against will coloured only by one's soul.

I am nothing, I am all, I am Whisper, I am Silvereye, I am Ki'Jiln.  

Attack me if you will,

The room does not exist.  

Master Ohm is not as he seems, but neither am I.  We are constructs: these forms are meaningless.  

I stare at Master Ohm, and bow again, the battle finished.

deimos3428

• View Profile
"I know Kung Fu!"
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
Ohm waits patiently for your mind to settle, and does not move.  After a time, he emits a dissatisfied grunt.  

"Hmm-mm.  Some big problem there!

Mind eye work good, but meanless when mind broken.  Much sensing, much pride, much imagination and much hearing.   But no much sense, no much prepare, no much think, and no much listen!

Think Stoden taught you fight sort of not bad.  That useful base.  Pity not teach when fight.  We try again.  You learn not much defend, you already dead one time.  You learn more strike me.  Maybe we both learn, but staring not impressive.  You swallow bug?  We try again.  

He looks sternly at you and bows, then adopts a clearly defensive position.

Begin.  Show Master what can do, then we fix what broken.  Show how you kid say best shot."

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: "I know Kung Fu!"
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
Sighing, I activate Quicken, PA5, strength, and enhance my eyesight so I can watch every move he makes.    

Once I feel the the activations in place, I bow, and circle to my left.  After watching how he moves, I predictably feint a head kick with my right leg, turn the feint into a leg sweep aimed at damaging his left knee, if he ignores the faint, steps back, or tries to attack my semi-exposed leg, I follow my pendulum-like momentum and pounce in tight, driving my hands repeatedly into his throat.  If, for some reason he does fall, I drive my elbow into his groin, over and over again.

I want to get in close, where I can use my elbows, knees, head, teeth, and his his gi (karategi) against him.

deimos3428

• View Profile
I can't seem to find the rules for elbow shots to the groin.
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
Master Ohm watches and waits patiently as you go through your breathing exercises, activating over and over again, buffing yourself for the ultimate assault.  You are a bit embarrassed that you need to repeat the first two, and even then PA5 fails the second time.*  Frusterated and fired up, you attack.  The rules claim you can make two kicks or three punches per ABC, but we'll go with a single kick and punch in this talent showcase, doubled because of Quicktime to two of each.

The feint and sweep are a bit telegraphed, but you contact the knee, striking for 18 Harm*.  Master Ohm calmly takes a step back, so you move in and strike at him with your fists, missing the first time and contacting the second for another 18 Harm*.  Not your best showing ever, but you are glad to have hit the smug man twice.  He does not seem to be any worse for wear, however, and does not counter-attack at all, just bows.

You hear his voice from behind you, and detect an identical figure.  You whip back in case it's some sort of trick, but no -- there's two of him!

"Not so bad, but not so perfect.  You missing impotent thing.  You need learn fork self.  Read scroll gain wisdom."

He hands you a scroll with instructions, equivalent in function to the Shadow Self activation.

---
* Nothing "magical", so much as just plain lousy dice: 75, 98, 54, 53, then 92 + 19 on the repeats.  The first attempt at PA5 was a critical failure to boot.  We'll say you left a big opening in your defense, but fortunately Master Ohm didn't take opportunity of the situation.

** Before Harm reduction, of course.

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: I can't seem to find the rules for elbow shots to the groin.
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
I bow, and take the scroll. "Master Ohm, the god said I could not harm Janie or Dark Gladys; will these attacks work on lesser minions or do you mean for me to read this now?"*

deimos3428

• View Profile
Beats painting fences, anyway.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »
"Not attack.  Fork for prepareration.  Work on all thing.  Even inwincible thing."  

Master Ohm gestures wildly, and with a fluid grace pokes you square in the chest.  (You're kind of shocked he got that one past you.  Guess the premonition knew it wasn't an attack.)

"Silver-san.  Scroll only paper for give coded wisdom.  Magic within.  Always this way.  You see, hai?

Come, try do fork self.  Then learn more."