Author Topic: Silvereye's Odyssey  (Read 31891 times)

deimos3428

• View Profile
Silvereye's Odyssey
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »
"There are 10 kinds of people*"

This is the re-posting of a grand tale of adventure, written via PM between Paul and I over during last six weeks since Silvereye was reduced to dust in an unfortunate transporter accident.  It has spanned some seventy posts, and has finally reached a conclusion that will affect the rest of you.

Quote from: "deimos3428"
All is null, and the void beckons.  You are alone with your thoughts, and your thoughts are the beginning and end.  And so with your own thoughts it begins again.  Reset.  Initialization.  Yet another universe is rushing headlong towards you, ready to be perceived -- or perhaps it is the other way around.

-- Your first thoughts are of nothing.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nobody, nowhere, blackness, darkness.  But still a welcome arrival in the complete and total void.  It is a fundamental building block, for even nothing is a sort of something, a definition of sorts.  And that definition begets more.  
1 -- The opposite of zero.  Not-zero.  Something measurable.  Something dimensionable -- another building block.  And that block begets more.
10 -- Permutation.  Combination.  Infinity.  Extensibility.  Comparison.  And so it begins in earnest.
11-- Repetition. Volume.  Pattern.  Functions.  Operations.  Calculations.  Approximations.  Models.  Tests.  Results.
1001011101111000100110101011110011011110111110000100011001010011101001010110110101111100011001110101101111100111011111011111....
And so it goes, the universe slowly taking shape -- and you as well.  

Boot sequence completed.

You begin to feel...to see...to smell...to sense...and in that shimmering instant you are truly reborn.  

Silvereye opens his eyes and looks about a vast black plane, stretching in all directions as far as he can see.  It is marked off in regular squares, spaces some 2' apart -- a grid of impossibly thin glowing filament of varying hue.  He does not seem to be standing on anything at all, but he is standing nevertheless.  

He also seems to have a body, and a familiar one at that.  You touch your face, and you feel a tightly wrapped scarf, feel the scars underneath, confirm your pointy Wylven ears.  Feel the pain of each and every wound you've suffered to date, yet at the same time you endure and stand.  You have all of your memories -- and all of your possessions from both the Learth universe and that of the Starship Traveller.  

Well, almost.  The colors are off.  Your body glows with a eerie orange hue, each scar a bond across your flesh of darkest night.  You shimmer and are mostly transparent -- like a ghost, you figure.  Your eyes light the way ahead, as twin cyan beams flow from them.

You are no longer alone with your thoughts...there is now yet another world to explore.
----
* Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:48:58 AM by deimos3428 »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: There are 10 kinds of people*
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
Quote from: "Silvereye"
I look around me and laugh.  Hell?  No, not yet...this is something else.  I look at my hands, roll my neck, take a deep breath, close my eyes, open them, check every scrap of equipment I have, then extend my Wlyfish senses trying to detect something.  

I crouch, if crouching is the right word, to examine the glowing lines.    

Didn't Seamus, see me as such when he read my aura?  Yes, I was wrapped in a cage to his eyes.  

I look at the sky above the dark plane, pick a random direction, unless I sense something, and start to move--letting the shafts of my cyan-lantern eyes light my path.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:16:10 PM by deimos3428 »

deimos3428

• View Profile
That's the spirit! (pun intended)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
You feel...really good.  The glowing lines seem like a sort of marker, a way of making sense of the nothingness.  A point of reference and orientation.  Without them, you'd be floating in completely empty space.  

Looking at your hands, their component bits seem to writhe, twist and flow about, composed of streams of symbols (ala the matrix)...pretty cool!  You feel powerful...very powerful.  Crouching feels good, you spring up quickly and perfectly execute a kick.  Your leg still feels tender, and you note a black lash across it where it was crushed by the rubble.  But you're no fool...this is no physical shell.  You also realize your scars in this place are likely self-imposed -- part of your self-identity more than any externally-imposed hardship.

Yes, it's very much as Seamus described.  You select a direction and take off in a flash, feeling light.  Heck, you might be light.  In short order, the filament grid becomes a dizzying blur as you cover "ground".  The cyan beams let nothing escape your senses...but as yet there is nothing to sense.  You urge yourself on faster, and the universe responds.  You are not sure if you even have a maximum velocity.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:13:39 PM by deimos3428 »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Encounter!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »
You race off in an exberant, glorious rush...no destination, no goal. It's wonderfully refreshing while it lasts.

The universe stops abruptly, and you with it. You haven't stopped running, but everything halts except your own perception. You go from a feeling of complete and utter power to completely helpless. Like a statue frozen in time, you feel the universe click the filament grid forward underneath you a single notch, and then you're instantly off running again. Odd, that. (It's somewhat like the universe took a smoke break, moved one tiny square, and then carried on merrily.)

You carry on, though...having no reason to stop and nothing to investigate if you did. It happens again, and you soon grow accustomed to it. It's quite like the ticking of a clock, and you're running in-between the "ticks".

Suddenly (why is it always suddenly?) you see a grey-hued man standing calmly directly in front of you, holding up his hand (like a traffic cop!). You're closing on him very fast, and can't really tell more than that. He's about your height, just standing there, and his body language suggests he wants you to stop. The universe "ticks" one more time, and then you're running right at him again.

What do you do?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Encounter!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »
Slowing my speed, I examine this grey-hued man, my thoughts flickering as I approach; where are Orren and Palestine?  What has happened?  Where am I?  Am I part of GLADYS?   Is this Seamus's work?

Commanding myself to stop in the same square as the man, I ask, my voice once again a whisper, "Who are you?  Why do you hail me?  What is this place?"

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »
Slowing my speed, I examine this grey-hued man, my thoughts flickering as I approach; where are Orren and Palestine?  What has happened?  Where am I?  Am I part of GLADYS?   Is this Seamus's work?
You stare at him carefully for a couple of "ticks", gradually getting the hang of moving about slowly and with precision.  It's actually easier to run here!

Commanding myself to stop in the same square as the man
That's a horrible invasion of personal space, as they're only 2'x2' squares, but you can get pretty close without incident.  Lemme know if you really want to walk through him.  :P  
He is indeed wearing a fine-looking suit of gray clothing, and is examining a golden pocket-watch, somewhat obsessively checking it.

I ask, my voice once again a whisper, "Wh--"
He interrupts you, and the universe pauses while he replies.  "I am Interrupt 70h.  You must pause while I work."  It starts again when he's finished speaking, and the grid ticks forward under your feet (away from him).
--o are you?  Why do you h--"
He interrupts you again, and the universe pauses while he replies.  "You do not belong here.  What address do you seek?"
The universe commences.  (You get the idea; I don't need to type it each time.)
--ail me?  What is th--
"This is unallocated space, wayward process."
is place?"
You just noticed in each case he replied before you finished your questions.  This guy seems prescient.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:19:22 PM by deimos3428 »

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »
Running to doom or freedom, no matter. Yet if there is a way to escape I will find it.  My eyes gaze at the grey-hued man.

I do not move through him, I stop, keeping him in his square and move around him, stalking him, with each tick.  I stare at the the golden pocket-watch, noting every detail.

"They call me Silvereye,"  I mutter looking for some reaction.  Is he human?

"What is your work?" I ask, noting it is time obviously, but hoping for a more detailed answer, I move the adjacent square.  

" To have an address, I need to know where I am and what lies beyond.  What is an unallocated space?"  I pause, take a breath and look at the horizon, "I was in a castle ruled by Balthus when my companions Palestine, Orren, Tarnus and I were transformed and found ourselves about a ship sailing the stars.  I need to find my companions they are in danger. I need to return to them.  The ship's name was Traveller, filled with beings named Seamus, GLADYS, Johnson, and a Ganzigian named Gark.

Raising my voice to a ragged croak, I ask, "Do these names me aught to you?"

"If you can read my thoughts you know where I am from and why I seek to return.  How may this be achieved?  Can you help me Interrupt 70h?"

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
He appears in every detail to be a rather non-descript human of perhaps 60 or 70 years of age, with two streaks of white hair remaining on his otherwise bald head.  He appears slightly overweight, and wears a loose-fitting tweed suit with leather elbow patches.  H also wears round thin-rimmed spectacles, and is completely hued in grey.  In a word, he looks absolutely...well, boring.  (Somewhat like Al Waxman in Twice in a Lifetime... now that I think about it.  But that wasn't intentional.)

"What is yo--
*pause* I am an interrupt.  I regulate the flow of time within the universe.  I am very busy.

" To have an addr--
False!  You need an allocation or pointer to pre-allocated resources.

What is an unalloc--
Unallocated space is your present location.  The rest of the universe is allocated space.  Your internal parameters are unimportant.  If you seek a pointer to allocated space I can generate one, but you must supply an address.

If you can read my --
Your internal data structures are not globally accessible.  I do not hold the data you require.

Can you hel--
Affirmative.  Seek out the memory map to determine your destination address and return.  I am very busy.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
Smiling under my scarf as I begin to understand I can return, I ask, "Where is the memory map?  How do I chose which map and understand the address?  How do I return to you? Will my physical body be returned with me? How do I return to you?"

"An interesting place:  it is a shame we do not have more time to converse."

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
"Where is the me--"
70h turns ninety degrees to his left, and points his finger.  A small arrow-shaped cyan platter hovers just below your feet.  It has the designation 002B-002C on it in glowing green script.  You take it this is a pointer, and you're supposed to hop on.

"That way.  I am very busy.  Your parameters are unimportant."

"An interesting place:  it is a shame we do--"
I am very busy.  You must pause while I work.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
Instinctively I check to make sure my hood and scarf are secure, and step on the platter.  

So that was time, or time's keeper. I wonder if time passes here as it does for my companions?  No matter.  I must travel this new land, and whether it leads to through the gates of hell I will return.

I scan the horizon, watching and waiting.

deimos3428

• View Profile
I can give you a coupla pointers...
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:58 PM »
You're pretty sure everything here moves to the beat of it's own [very fast] drum, and it's quite likely you just met the drum in person. ;)

You thought running was fast.  You were wrong.  As soon as you hop on the pointer, the filament grid becomes a blur that makes your stomach churn.  (Being completely unaccustomed at processing input instantaneously, your senses are revolting -- you perceive it as a cresendo of sound and multi-colored light.)  You vomit a few bits of glowing light, and they quickly diffuse.

A massive third-dimensional diagram stands before you in a translucent blue cube, perhaps twenty feet per side turning slowly on it's vertical axis.  It is filled with lines of varying shades of blue or green, and these traces intersect and weave with dizzying complexity that makes it almost painful to contemplate.  Small motes blink in and out of existence throughout the diagram, and the traces wiggle about and change constantly.  

Whatever this might be, you are certain it is important.  If only there were a way to make sense of it!  A small paper scroll appears at your feet, perhaps the "map" to this bizarre dungeon.

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: I can give you a coupla pointers...
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
Interesting place.  A shame I don't have to time with the old man.

I reach down and pick up the scroll, look at its exterior first to make sure it is blank, the unroll it and read its contents.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »
The scroll, unsurprisingly, is a sort of map.  It is filled with multi-colored shapes and symbols you don't recognize, and you can make neither head or tail of it.

While it has a great deal of writing, which twists and turns into a script you recognize but cannot read, only one word catches your gaze and holds onto it like a vice -- "JANIE".  The area around the word is marked off in crimson, with dark black lines crossing it.  Next to it is a long string.  Perhaps it is the address you seek, but you wonder if it could be something more.

f1ee:dead:babe:70ac:ce55:5afe:abod:eb01:de1f

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »
JANIE!  That was Gladys's ghost-child's name, yet spelt or used that way upon the ship. It must tie in to GLADYS--Orren spoke about awakening JANIE...placing her consciousness in the Ganzigian.  No, the transition from Wylf to human was enough: I will not be transformed into some thing.  My form is my own as is my mind, the universe must return me to my former self or I will end time itself.  We must be restored to Balthus's castle...just after we killed Ridolf.

I hate the ship sailing the stars, yet I must make sure Orren and Palestine are safe...they have shown me kindness.  I owe them my life.  They have not asked about...

Why would JANIE's name be marked off in crimson with black lines crossing it?  A warning?  My parameters are 'unimportant' yet there is something here, something knows, something is guiding my fate.

"Seamus, where are you hiding...." I mutter.  My mind turns to Yats.  This is devilry, but far beyond his power.  I stare at the cube, examine my surroundings carefully.  "Is this the...my address?" I ask aloud?

A map must have a key, a starting point, a direction...I stare at the lines, look to the skies...I need a point of reference.

The message string...I look intently for a clue.

A broken message, much like the one Seamus sent.

A cypher?  Numbers for letters? faee dead babe goac ceee eafe abod eboa deaf.  No.

What do the colons indicate?  A break, the letter 'y,' 't,' something else?  A guess would be better.  

free dead baby go access safe abode bord ref

No.

flee dead baby to/go access safe abode bold elf

Possible, though it seems too personal.

free dead baby go access safe abode border f

Another guess.  A merging of the two....  Why would this place make things difficult.  It seems ruled by reason, yet this is sloppy. The message does not fit..this place.  I am missing something obvious.

Best guess:

free/flee dead babe to access safe body bor/for self

Shaking my head, I laugh and begin again.  I will not free JANIE to access her body for myself..unless I can be returned with the others.  Keep our 'analogs' safe, Seamus said.  our minds?  Can they be returned to our bodies?

I reach for Wendy's whistle and study it carefully in the gaudy light.  I wonder....

Let the universe tick away whilst the eldest god plays his game, I will not yield.