Author Topic: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Three  (Read 11755 times)

deimos3428

• View Profile
Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Three
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Quote from: "lucyjoyce"
"GLADYS?  Any sign of the alleged black hole?”
GLADYS:  Negative, Captain, nothing on sensors yet.  Though we are passing an interesting looking yellow-star system that looks capable of hosting intelligent life.  Would you like to drop out of warp to investigate?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

deimos3428

• View Profile
Re: Deimos' Play by Post -- Part Three
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Quote from: "Silvereye"
Dr. Tarnus looks at the Captain, wondering if he drank far more than he should have imbibed.  "I know Aerth, what's Learth?  And who and what is Silvereye?"
---
Excellent post.  Neither Dr. Tarnus nor Chief Engineer Seamus are from Learth.

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
Quote from: "deimos3428"
Dr. Tarnus looks at the Captain, wondering if he drank far more than he should have imbibed.  "I know Aerth, what's Learth?  And who and what is Silvereye?"
---
That would be my fault.  LJ just followed after me into the abyss.  I couldn't remember the name and didn't look it up.

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
"Interesting in what way, GLADYS? Might be worth taking a look.  Maybe someone.. or something.. there can give us some directions.  Let's approach as cautiously as possible, though.  As we get closer, please estimate the level of technology any detected civilization might possess.  And be ready to leave quickly."

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
Quote from: "Avurax"
Quote from: "deimos3428"
---
That would be my fault.  LJ just followed after me into the abyss.  I couldn't remember the name and didn't look it up.

Looking at Orren and the Captain and back again, Dr. Tarnus asks. "I remember Traveller and the Void , but what is Learth?  You mean Aerth, right? " He mulls things over, they have been a bit odd, but what does Silvereye mean?  Code?   Some joke between the two?

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »
"Interesting in what way, GLADYS? Might be worth taking a look.  Maybe someone.. or something.. there can give us some directions.  Let's approach as cautiously as possible, though.  As we get closer, please estimate the level of technology any detected civilization might possess.  And be ready to leave quickly."
GLADYS drops the ship out of warp, and reports more details as you approach the system at sub-light speeds.

GLADYS: Well, they appear to be some viable planets, Captain, so I thought you'd like to know.  There are a number of satellites, mostly dead rocks, but two planets indeed seem capable of sustaining life.  Onscreen.  One is a bluish planet that appears to be entirely covered by water.  It may support marine life, and it's mass in the same order of magnitude as Aerth.  The other is far larger than Aerth, and of greenish hue.  I believe it to be completely almost completely covered in vegetation.  I cannot detect any advanced civilization on either planet, unfortunately.

Would you like to visit either one, or should I take us back to warp?

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
“As the captain is otherwise engaged and you are confident that neither of the planets is ‘home’, please take us back to warp and continue on toward the black hole so we may return to our planet of origin.”

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Quote from: "Avurax"
“As the captain is otherwise engaged and you are confident that neither of the planets is ‘home’, please take us back to warp and continue on toward the black hole so we may return to our planet of origin.”
GLADYS: Very well, Mr. Alkath.  Returning to warp.

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
"Um, thanks Orren.  Lost in thought there for a moment.  Good call."

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
"Um, thanks Orren.  Lost in thought there for a moment.  Good call."
A few hours later, GLADYS chimes in again.

GLADYS:  No sign of any black holes or massive gravitational objects, Captain.  There are no vessels in the vicinity that I can detect.  

But we are approaching another yellow-star system with a habitable Aerth-like planet.   I am actively collecting telemetry but have detected no radio-capable civilizations.  Oxygen levels indicate humans could breathe the atmosphere without difficulty.

Long range sensors indicate yet another system along our trajectory 3.3 light years away, circling a red-dwarf star.

deimos3428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Let's try another angle, and see if we can get things moving along in the right direction.  Reading through old posts has given me an idea...yet another good reason to read through them!
---
As GLADYS drones on about star systems, Orren sinks deeper into the Captain's chair -- and deeper into depression.  It's seems so hopeless, and he wonders if you'll ever get home, or if you're doomed to be forever lost in this seemingly endless field of stars.  Who knew there was so many?   If only we weren't stuck here.  Damned (literally) if we do, damned if we don't.

Silvereye's death is clearly weighing heavily on him as well.  His mind concentrates on that treasured past life, refusing to let it slip away completely...Seamus has to be the answer.  What would he do?

His mind slowly drifts back to that other comfy chair...the horrible dog illusion...and then his "graduation".  And suddenly the shocking specific truth of his words echoes in your brain, like a voice from afar speaking directly to you.  Seamus was prescient, after all...but could it be?

Quote from: "Seamus O'Malley"
I trust the lesson is learned: No matter what you face, you must act.  That is the universal key

Orren muses to himself, quietly but aloud.  "That wording can't be coincidence, it's a message.  So if there's a key...a universal key...where's the lock?  If we can find that, maybe we can unlock it and escape this horrible universe."

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »
"What did you say, Orren?  You found a key?"

Walking over to the captain's chair, she looks down at Orren.

"What kind of key?"

Silvereye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
Dr. Tarnus looks at the Captain and Orren:  "Why do you two keep talking about a key?  Why do we need a damn key?  I thought we needed a black hole.  Will somebody tell me in all that is holy is going on?"

Captain, "GLADYS keeps looking at worlds, why?  Let's send out some probes or something ahead of us.   I want to get back to Aerth.  No one has told me what Learth is all about. Are we looking for a planet called Learth?  I think I can make a go of the phase grenades...."

Dr. Tarnus rocks in his chair like a impatient child, and wonders what scotch is available, and if he should say something about that little device Orren has hidden and made part of his body.  Dumb ass kid has no idea how dangerous that stuff can be....

lucyjoyce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 03:46:30 AM »
Looking for meaning in Orren's words, Palestine says, "Tarnus, when we were in training, Orren and I were taught that the key to any problem we face is to act.  I think that may be what he is talking about."

Walking over to Scrubb's chair, she sits, slowing pivoting the chair back and forth, looking out the viewscreen.

"GLADYS, I don't think we will be visiting any planet for the time being.  Just keep us informed of any unusual activity you note.  And of course let us know if you detect a black hole."

Restlessly rising, she again crosses over to face Orren, and crouches down, resting on her heels, so she can look up at his face.  

"So what can we do that we are not doing?"

Avurax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »
“Tarnus, Palestine - In another life, Seamus the leprechaun said we had to act.  I tried to guard against fear but apparently that wasn’t acting.  Screaming like a little girl was more of an action apparently.  Unfortunately, I don’t believe that is relevant here.  Any idea why Seamus would not consider fortifying ones mind against fear to be an action but screaming in agony would be acting?”