Author Topic: Ideas for New Edges (Modified)  (Read 3728 times)

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Ideas for New Edges (Modified)
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »
The following is a new list of potential new edges.  This is a better list in my opinion and has replaced the original list; the original post is the first replay now.

NEW EDGES

Affinity – the character is a natural at a single ability and receives a bonus when performing that ability.
I am not sure how big the bonus should be.

Light Sleeper – the character does not require any adjustment time to overcome disorientation because they are aware and ready the second they are awakened.
This might be what you had in mind on the open eyes edge and I just didn't read enough into it.

Sensitive – the character has an inborn awareness of the supernatural and magic.

Wealthy – the character comes from a family that is part of the upper crust of their social class.  The starting funds for the character is doubled.

Any feedback?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:56:33 AM by Semi-Retired Gamer »
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Re: Ideas for New Edges
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
The following is nothing more than quickly stated ideas for new edges.  These are presented "as is" without any real design work or details added to them.  Feel free to make suggestions, modify, or present your own ideas below.

NEW EDGES

Cultured – character knows “just enough” about etiquette, courtly procedures, etc. to get by most of the time.

Light Sleeper – character instantly awakes from sleep; hard to surprise.

Polite – character has good manners to the point that people will react positively.  Might affect how a guard deals with your character or a person running a shop or in other similar circumstances.

Just preserving these for development purposes.
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for New Edges (Modified)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »
Not sure what I meant by open eyes, other than you can sleep with them open.  Most likely, it was just to look like you were awake.  I tried to keep things open for GM interpretation. Light Sleeper fits in with things well.

Wealthy seems like a good idea, but doesn't exactly fit.  Every other edge gives something that persists throughout the character's life.  Wealthy just applies at the beginning. 

Affinity could work.  If you look at what is listed as an edge, it is really a skill that is part of an ability.  For example, Soft Foot gets a bonus of 10 for Move Silently checks.  Move Silently, however, is part of stealth.  To make Affinity work with the current model, then you would need to pull out a skill that is part of an ability and give it a bonus of 10.  You could make it apply to an entire ability.  That would be different, but might work for your home campaign.  I would probably only give a bonus of 2 pts though. 

Sensitive also seems like a good fit. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Great feedback. 

Good point on Wealthy.  I hadn't thought of the difference being persistent or not. 

I am digging your thoughts on Affinity.  I actually prefer your idea of pulling out a single skill from an ability.  That was my actual intent with it - you expressed it better than I did.  I would much rather give a big bonus to one skill than a small bonus to the entire ability. 

I will do some more updating and clarifying at some point...
----------------------
Charlie

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
You could change wealth into inheritance.  A rich uncle dies leaving the PC a monthly stipend.  Now the question becomes if you think it is appropriate for a fantasy game?  If you are dungeon crawling and trying to find wealth looting dragons, probably not appropriate.  On the other hand, if the world is less S&S, and the game involves politics, saving the world, etc. then adventuring plots aren't about wealth so the stipend could be useful. 

Semi-Retired Gamer

• View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Interesting thoughts about changing wealthy to inheritance.  The only drawback in application of this edge is the one you mentioned.  It definitely would not be of much use in a dungeon crawling game.  Food for thought.
----------------------
Charlie