Author Topic: SteamCraft Update - Where we are, and Where we are going.  (Read 2812 times)

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SteamCraft Update - Where we are, and Where we are going.
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
All of our customers are stakeholders, so I thought it was time to do an update to let you all know what is going on. 

Website Update

In case you have not checked recently, the website has been redone.  We hope you like the new look.

We have added new resources for you:

• Corrected SteamCraft's character sheet to reflect what is in the book
  • Airship Record Sheet
  • Map
  • Errata 

PDF Guarantee

We want to support local game stores.  This is where people discover new games to play.  To help local game stores we have decided to try out the PDF Guarantee that some other companies do.  Basically, if someone buys SteamCraft from a local game store (not off the internet) and pays full price, we will provide the customer a PDF copy of SteamCraft for free with proof of purchase.  We hope this will turn out to be a win-win.  If people buy from their local store, the store makes money and stays in business.  They in turn, hopefully, with purchase more copies of SteamCraft.  That in turns helps us stay in business.  By providing a free PDF, we hope to provide an incentive to purchase from your local store even if it is slightly more expensive.

Please let your local game stores know about the PDF Guarantee for SteamCraft so they can let their customers know. 

Shadows Over Newport

Shadows Over Newport is our first expansion for SteamCraft.  It focuses on Newport and the surrounding area.  We had hoped to have this in game stores by October, but that just isn't going to happen.  The primary difficulty now is art.  Our main artist was already behind schedule when she developed severe health problems requiring hospitalization.  While she is home now, it is unlikely she will be able to complete the art anytime soon.  We have been in contact with other artists and we hope that we can get the project complete soon.  Our goal is to be in stores the beginning of December, but there is no guarantee this will happen. 

Adventures

We would like to begin a series of adventures for SteamCraft.  Our current concern is over the financial feasibility of the project.  Unlike other source material, adventures are primarily purchased by the GM of the group.  Further, not all GMs are going to purchase the product.  If we were to put out a large adventure in stores, we would need to about half as many adventures as we have core rules just to break even.  That is just unlikely to happen. 

We are exploring the idea of doing short PDF only adventures.  It would be cheaper to produce a 20-25 page adventure than an 80-100 page one.  There is also a higher profit margin on PDFs making it a better option.  We would have to sell only half as many PDFs compared to physical copies to break even.  However, 25% of an audience is still a bit high.  Adventures typically sell to 10-15% of an audience. 

We believe it is important to have adventures out.  We have ideas for a single shot adventure as well as a trilogy.  We just need to evaluate where best to allocate resources at the moment and how long we can wait to see a return in our investment in a project. 

PJ Fantasy

We had hoped to knock out a revised/second edition of this pretty quickly after the Shadows Over Newport expansion.  We would add a setting and put in optional rules for using the system in SteamCraft.  However, the artist problems we are having means we won't have access to her backstock of art we were going to use.  Until the artist situation is resolved, this project has been changed from our second priority to our lowest. 

New Games

We do have two games planned.  One is a card game and the other one is an RPG.  Once Shadows Over Newport is released, these will become our priority.  No ETA on these.  The fact is we have day jobs that take time.  This minimizes the amount of time we have to work on other games.  Our hope is sometime next year for one of these.  The card game takes more testing, but it much faster to complete.  The RPG will use the same system as SteamCraft, so it is primarily writing that needs to be done.  We will be working on both and as soon as one of them is near completion, we will let you know. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:20:25 PM by Darius »

Semi-Retired Gamer

• Ooooooh no...there goes Tokyo; go, go, GODZILLA!
    • View Profile
    • The Semi-Retired Gamer
Re: SteamCraft Update - Where we are, and Where we are going.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
All around very exciting news!!!!!

The website looks great!

The map is a must have item.  I grabbed it as soon as I found out it was here. 

I am really looking forward to the second edition of Perilous Journeys.  The first edition is great and I am excited to see what is in the updated version. 

In fact, all of the new products have grabbed my attention!
----------------------
Charlie

I (mainly) blog about role-playing at The Semi-Retired Gamer and occasionally at A Megaversal® Miscellany.

Reading:  The Lair of Bones by David Farland.