Author Topic: PC abilities while in Animal Form  (Read 1570 times)

johnse

• View Profile
PC abilities while in Animal Form
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
When a PC casts the Animal Form spell, does she retain the abilities of the PC in human form?

Devils and Vampires are listed that they do. Werewolves may at higher levels. No mention is made for spell-based shape changes.

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PC abilities while in Animal Form
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:55:22 PM »
It depends on the animal.  It physically changes the shape of the animal.  It grants roughly the animals physical attributes.  The PC can retain its HP.   So, a cats will be able to be fall on all four feet, and a wolf will have sharp teeth that does damage. 

As for the skills, that becomes complicated.  The skills are retained, but the question becomes as to if they are usable.  It depends on what is being attempted could be done in that body.  So, most animals would not be able to do thieving skills or engineering.  However, knowledge would be retained. 

Klotz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
This is a really cool system. What I'm not sure about is why not make some abilities only available in some animal forms. Or is it how it works right now as well? I can't tell.
Hi!

Darius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
This is a really cool system. What I'm not sure about is why not make some abilities only available in some animal forms. Or is it how it works right now as well? I can't tell.

That is basically how it works.  The physical body changes shape but the mind stays the same and the physical durability of that body stays the same.  The abilities a PC has when the shape has changed depends on what is physically possible while in that shape.  Dogs do not have thumbs, do it would be difficult to fire a gun.  A chimp does have a thumb, so a chimp can shoot a gun. 

Being stealthy in cat or mouse form would be easy.  In fact, do to the size and nature of these animals, a GM could be justified in granting a bonus to any stealth checks.  A black cat in a dark alley following someone in going to be very difficult to notice and likely ignored if scene anyway.